Topic

Exped SynMat UL 9 vs. DownMat UL 7

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Exped SynMat UL 9 vs. DownMat UL 7

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

Any downsides to the Exped SynMat UL 9, other than that it is 1oz heavier than it's DownMat UL 7 competition? I figure it would be easier/less risky to soap and water wash down in the shower than a DownMat…or is the down in the DownMat waterproof encased? I'm guessing if the down in the DowmMat were to get wet (say in cleaning), it might be quite hard to restore its original loft.

The upside to the SynMat UL 9 is that it's 0.7" thicker and 0.10R higher.

TIA

KJ

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I don't think washing is an issue. I've washed both my synthetic and down mats with no effect on the insulation.

The down mat's insulation value might decrease more significantly when used in conditions where the humidity is high, or when condensation occurs inside the mat.

Synthetic insulation sometimes peels away from one or both sides of the pad, leaving that are uninsulated.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Ken I don't have the model names and specs in front of me now but you may want to wait for 3 new Exped models coming out in February that are lighter weight with higher R values than previous versions – I posted the models and weights in another thread recently.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I recently changed out my Synmat ul7 regular
    for a medium wide, I was thinking of changing
    my Downmat ul7 regular for a wide winter pad but
    waiting to see if the Downmat ul7 or Synmat Ul9 is offered
    in a medium wide. At the moment the weight difference between the Ul7 and either
    of the long/wide pads is too great.

If both are offers in medium wide I would probably go with the synmat.

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

EJ

Are you referencing the pads on this page: http://hikinginfinland.com/2014/07/outdoor-news-2014-day-3.html (3/4 of the way down)? If so, they really don't interest me, being tapered pads. I flip-flop too much at night to be able to use a tapered pad. If there are new square mats coming out, it would be great if you could reference the other thread you speak of.

TIA

KJ

Michael Hill
    BPL Member

@mh

FWIW, I bought a Synmat UL 9-Long and Wide on clearance from CampSaver last month for $153.27. I haven't tried it yet other than to inflate it indoors and make sure it didn't leak. Looks like they still have some in stock at that price. Or medium for $139.27.

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Michael

Shhh….don't tell everybody before I possibly buy one! ;O) Hehe

KJ

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

KJ, the same. Here's the MW Winterlite on your left in the photo – note the taper looks very mild: https://www.flickr.com/photos/hendrikmorkel/14533742847

I can't tell if it will work for me until I have one to try out. I'm a side sleeper and I never want to go back to 20 in. pads again – hate having my arms hang off the pad. A little taper down the legs and at the foot shouldn't bug me – but a severe taper by my arms/hands would bug me.

Nick at Exped USA quoted the MW weights to me as follows:

SynMat Hyperlite MW 14.4oz
    SynMat Winterlite MW 18.6oz
    DownMat Winterlite MW 21.8oz

I've slept very comfortably on one of Exped's warmest winter pads and it's bliss in winter. These Winterlite pads are R 8 and at these weights I'd be fine carrying it all year.

I really like the vertical bafffles of the Exped pads, but also want to try out the new Xtherm coming out with the quieter material.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Just got this below from Nick at Exped USA. He's referring to this photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/hendrikmorkel/14533742847

"The mat in the link is the new DownMat Winterlite (9cm thick and R-Value 8.0) which you will see available in the US around March 1. It will have M, MW, and LW sizes. In the image, it appears to be a MW and M sized mat next to one another. The MW and LW will both measure 26" at their widest shoulder point and then taper as seen in the image.

The above will also hold true for the SynMat Winterlite and SynMat Hyperlite. The SynMat Winterlite again will be 9cm, but will have an R-Value of 6.0 and the SynMat Hyperlite will be the lightest of them all but only be 7cm thick with an R-Value of 3.1."

Jordan Z

@zbuster9000

Not to derail the thread too much but is there any harm/damage done to the down in the downmat UL 7 if you store it long term loosely rolled up? I don't have the room to store the pad unrolled so I'm hoping no harm is being done with storing it loosely rolled up with both valves open.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

oh boy!

I think this just might be the pad to replace my destroyed expeds! I have been wavering between getting a downmat vs another synmat, but wow I really liked the warmth of that downmat.

But I think a MW of the synmat winterlite just might tick every single box I've ever thought I'd need in a backcountry mattress. Oh I so hope they're not too expensive……..

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

What advantage if any is there besides higher R-value to the Downmat over the Synmat? Will the Downmat insulation last longer? Will the Synmat work better in very humid weather/wet conditions?

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

I don't have an answer for you, but I'm interested if anyone does have insight into it.

I've been storing my Downmat UL 7s folded in half length wise, then folded again, and hanging from a coat hanger in the closet. This works and doesn't take much room, and I haven't noticed any damage so far, but having them for less than two years, I can't comment on the long term impact of this method.

Like you, I keep both valves open.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools