Topic

Carry on and air canada

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Carry on and air canada

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

Hi everyone, I'm trying to take all my gear as carry on baggage on an international air canada flight. Of course every liquid under 3 oz, in a sealed plastic bag, no fuel, no knives etc.

However I assumed a stove without fuel was fine but found this: http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/baggage/security.html?src=rt#2

see under camping equipment. Is this case in the U.S. to? stoves even without fuel only as checked baggage? Anyone on Air Canada ever try to bring a small canister stove on board?

What about trekking poles, if I can fit them inside my pack will I be able to bring them on board? Does a trekking pole count as a sharp object that could cause harm or injury? oh wait I see that ski poles are listed as prohibited blunt objects . . . I guess trekking poles are the same?

Edit: oh and what about a spot messenger would that have to be checked? I see bluetooth headsets listed as prohibited but they are on every flight these days . . . no mention of gps on CATSA site.

Any insights from recent Air Canada travelers would be appreciated . . .

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

My experiences with all airlines (including AC) have varied quite a bit. Sometimes I was allowed to take my collapsible carbon fibre kayak paddle as carry-on; sometimes I wasn't. Same for trekking poles. It seemed to vary with who was doing security (some let me keep my sandals on; others required that I remove them), and the mood of the boarding agent at the gate.

With the recent incidents in QC and Ottawa, followed by France — security might be too tight for trekking poles.

As for the stove, I doubt security would bother with it — but if they did, it would be confiscated. (I believe the rule was created because a tiny amount of fuel stuck in a stove hose — think of an old MSR Dragonfly — could be at risk of igniting.)

YMMV, but to me, it wouldn't be worth the risk of having to replace my stove and poles at my destination, so I'd just check the bag.

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

Thanks valerie. I hate checking bags I push the limit on connections, ive been burned before with checked bags not making it for two days because of delays etc. I suppose ill check the bare minimum, nothing that would make it impossible. Going to patagonia. Hopefully evrything makes it there.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

[…]

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

One approach (that works better domestically than internationally) is to ship a package of edgy stuff (poles, stove, etc) ahead to your first night's lodging or care of a local outfitter. Then you can know it is there, at your destination before you even start your trip.

Also, the airline doesn't check your carry-on bags – the airport-wide security personnel does. Once "inside the system", anyone and anything can go anywhere without being re-checked. That said, interpretations do differ. American TSA has gotta lack on the gels and liquids. It has to be under 3 ounce / 100 ml, but small tubes of toothpaste, deodorant, etc, and they don't care if it's still in your carry-on. The Germans, being German, do interpret the regulations very strictly and gave us the third degree for doing what I do all the time at home – not segregating little bits of toothpaste or sunscreen.

Also good to carry a cheap, extra bag in case you have to check something you didn't expect. For a UL pack, I'd suggest putting it inside a cardboard box inside of a cheap duffle bag. Sacrificial packing. I use shipping tubes or the discarded rolls from inside of wide plotter-paper rolls for trekking poles to protect them and so the points don't damage the luggage. Alternately, strap them together with a slightly longer broomstick or 2×2 so they don't take any compressive forces and their points aren't pushed into your pack/luggage.

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

General delivery doesn't work in Canada. I tried having a new pack delivered to me by my girlfriend once and the home post office wouldn't send it, they said they wouldn't send it to another post office they wanted an address. I suspect any shipping fees to the U.S. would match the checked baggage fee for someone coming from outside the U.S.

Now my biggest problem is getting my long pack with 23 inch stays to 21.5 inches in height. I hope they don't give me hard time about that.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"what about a spot messenger would that have to be checked?"

Think about it. A Spot has a radio transmitter. If that was accidentally turned on during the flight (especially during landing), it might interfere with the aircraft electronics. It probably won't, but that is still the argument against them. If it is checked as baggage, then there won't be any human accidentally doing much of anything with it.

–B.G.–

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"long pack with 23 inch stays to 21.5 inches"

What dimension limit are you after? At the last time that I checked, the long carryon dimension that my bag had to meet was 24 inches. Besides, sometimes a long item can be removed and placed diagonally across a bag.

–B.G.–

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

Thanks Bob I guessed as much, another item for checked baggage . . .

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

This is what air canada has listed:

23 cm x 40 cm x 55 cm
    (9 in x 15.5 in x 21.5 in)
    Wheels and handles included.

Pretty tiny, wish they had a linear limit like some of the U.S. airlines . . . I've easily gone over that before without trouble. Just have to make sure you board before the big rush.

Air Canada though was one of the last airlines to charge for all checked luggage and I haven't flown with them since that change so they may be more militant about it in order to get the baggage fees . . .

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

A 24-inch diagonal will fit within a 15.5×21.5-inch surface with a couple of inches to spare, and I used to hate math.

–B.G.–

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

I hate to sound stupid but I guess I am . . . what if they use one of those bag racks you need to stuff your bag into in order to check the size of your bag? If the box is 21.5 inches long, 24 inches of length won't fit. I don't think AC uses a total linear limit, meaning you cannot exceed any of the three dimension limits or am I wrong?

Oh and thanks everyone for your responses. I know this has been discussed to death but airline policies and air security changes all the time . . .

edit: I'll keep my original stupid comment above, but just remove the stays from their sleeves and put them in the pack diagonally duh! Not sure why it wasn't obvious . . .

Kate Magill
    BPL Member

@lapedestrienne

My experiences have varied so widely, even within the course of one flight. I've had one AC desk agent tell me that poles are fine as carry-on, only to arrive at security and have them tell me I'd have to check the whole bag, which almost caused me to miss my connection. They didn't like my tent stakes either, FWIW. When in doubt, check the bag. It beats missing your flight or having to get patted down by security.

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

I think I'll show up early and see what they tell me at the desk in terms of the pack itself, and check all the other stuff – trekking poles, tent stakes, stove, derma safe knife etc. in a small cheap throw away bag.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

" If the box is 21.5 inches long, 24 inches of length won't fit. "

Try it. A 24-inch object fits just fine if you use the diagonal dimensions.

–B.G.–

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Patrick:

I've a flown a few times between Canada and US:

1. Carry On – You can pack and carry on everything (yes, stove, tent stakes, electronics and all) — except for #2 and #3 below.

2. Must Check – Buy a cardboard tube from the post office or any office supplies store. Pack these inside the cardboard tube:

a. trekking poles
    b. knife or multi tool

3. Must Buy at Destination – Fuel, bear spray.

That's pretty much it, I think — except for firearms and ammo which I don't use and know nothing about.

Some might ask… if you have to check some stuff anyway, why not just check the pack? Personal preference, but I prefer to carry on as much as possible — to minimize the loss of luggage that can totally ruin a trip. And losing a knife and trekking poles — at least a replacement knife can be purchased reasonably cheaply — and one can almost always find a suitable stick or two if poles are really required — annoying, but not necessarily a total show stopper.

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

Thanks ben 2 world, do you use an alcohol or canister stove?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

You're welcome, Patrick.

I use both canister and alky stoves — depending on trips. Both types of stoves can be carried on — just make sure to clean so they don't reek of fuel residual. Of course, neither fuel canisters nor denatured alcohol can be carried or checked onto any flight.

Have a fun trip!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools