Topic

Eagle Cap Wilderness 7-8 days

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Kris Sherwood BPL Member
PostedJan 16, 2015 at 11:21 am

Hi all. A group of 4 of us do an annual summer trip. It is always 7-8 days and 80-100 miles. In years past we have done the JMT, Winds Wyoming, Pasayten, Sierra High Route section.

This year we were going to return to the Sierra but started talking about something fresh and thought maybe we would do a trip in the Eagle Cap Wilderness. I am in the early stages of planning but seem to be finding most loops to be in the 30-50 mile range.

I was wondering if anyone has experience stitching together trips off trail in the area to stretch it to the 80-90 miles. We have plenty of off trail experience class 2-3 not an issue, we are good to 15-20 mile days and we are looking at mid-August.

Just thought I would lob this out there and see if anyone has done something similar?

Thanks much in advance

Todd Raish BPL Member
PostedJun 12, 2015 at 11:44 am

You can find the relevant topographic maps online at http://data.fs.usda.gov/geodata/rastergateway/states-regions/states.php . Select the northeastern Oregon section on the graphic and click thru to locate the 7.5 minute TOPO maps for the "Eagle Cap", "Aneroid Mountain", "Lostine", and "Joseph" quadrangles. These 4 maps show enough trails so that you can stitch together a week long trip.

I've never hiked there, but I know hikers who have spent time in the Eagle Cap Wilderness and the Wind River Range. According to them, Eagle Cap is very similar to the WINDS with plenty of water and great views, but with lower overall elevation. For example, the mountain passes and peaks are 8000FT to 9000FT, instead of 10000FT to 13000FT.

They all recommend the Lake Basin area (sections 22-27 of the Eagle Cap quad). Hope this helps.

Todd T BPL Member
PostedJun 12, 2015 at 3:33 pm

Get one of those big maps and I think you'll have no trouble connecting a few smaller loops to give yourself a very satisfying 80- to 100-mile trip. It's hard to go wrong in the Wallowas. The Lakes Basin area is most famous–and you should definitely go through there–but don't neglect the southern Wallowas. More remote, fewer people, rugged and dramatic, just not quite as many framed calendar views. Here's a shorter semi-loop I did a couple years ago to give you an idea:

http://texasbb.net/files/West-Eagle-Loop-2013/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Loading...