Topic

X-Trace binding experiences

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking X-Trace binding experiences

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Charley White

@charleywhite

Locale: Petaluma, CA

I would like to hear of experiences with these bindings, particularly footwear you were happy with.

In David Chenault's 2011 review of the X-trace bindings, he says:

"The limitations of universal bindings are to a large extent tied to the footwear used, in my case trail runners. I do not think that rigidity and edge control will ever be anything but desperate with universal bindings and floppy shoes (even, I would imagine, lighter high-top hikers)"

I wouldn't think to use them with trail runners, as he did in his Bob Marshall trip, only with reasonably stout mid-boots. Of course, I wonder where that weight-point is when you transition away from "desperate" for edge control. Am hoping there is a mid boot that lighter and nicer for dry land hiking than any plastic boot.

Any experiences/recommendations?

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Charley, that's how I ended up with heavier but non-plastic 3-pin boots. I skied the X-Trace a bunch with a light pair of boots and found them OK in low-angle good snow, but anything tricky and I was walking (or crashing). Of course I am a total newbie skier so someone better than me could probably ski much more with a stiffer hiking boot. Part of the appeal of the Hoks to me is they're small and light and hikeable, so I wanted a boot that I could walk ~10 miles in and not kill my feet… hopefully the Alpina Alaskas will do that for me.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools