Topic

lightest waterproof breathable available

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear lightest waterproof breathable available

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

Does anyone know whats the lightest WP/B fabric available for MYOGers?

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

http://www.rainshield.com/p_multi.html — this is about 5.5 oz for large. It is 2nd most breathable fabric there is, only beaten by eVent. Avoid the pants, they rip too easily. But for a jacket, I've used one for 2 hikes (one 9 days, one 15 days) and the jacket lasted the two entire hikes then I had to toss it, but it only costs $25-$29. If you get a tear, use the red vapor barrier tape you can get at home depot, it will stick over the tear and survive washings. Yes, eVent is more breathable, more durable, but considerably heavier.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Does anyone know whats the lightest WP/B fabric available for MYOGers?
    No such thing. It depends on:
    a) the trade-off YOU want to make between waterproof and breathable
    b) how many hundred metres you are willing to buy

Sigh!

Michael Demchak

@mikey

Locale: new england

John, you can try gortex paclite at owareusa.com that comes in at 2.1 oz/yard(however i just noticed theres a 75$ minimum order? i've orded from him in the past with no problems, might want to contact him) i think you can locate paclite from a couple of other places. (Seattle fabrics.com?)
    mike!

Jason Shaffer

@pa_jay

Locale: on the move....

Maybe it's time to revive this thread.

Either 2-Layer eVent, or 1.3oz/yd2 Pertex Quantum Endurance (the shell fabric from the Cocoon PRO line) would be awesome additions….

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools