Topic

Suluk 46 – Social Media

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Suluk 46 – Social Media

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Good day everyone!
    I wanted to let everyone know that Suluk 46 has officially joined the social media network. The goal is to increase the speed and frequency of updates to our friends. Instead of having to visit the website to “check” what is going on, you can be kept updated automatically using any or all of the communication tools below.

Some examples would be:
    New product releases
    R&D projects updates
    Prototypes gear pictures and stats
    Release of new “On The Trail” episodes
    Adventure updates and photos
    Company info

Links:

Like me on Facebook

Follow me on Twitter

Watch me on Youtube

Thanks to everyone for the support over the years!

Steve Evans
    Suluk 46
    http://www.suluk46.com

David Ure

@familyguy

Done!

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Diggity done.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Dave, Ian, Thanks guys! I really do appreciate the support!

I haven't rolled anything out yet, but be patiant, I have some cool stuff in the pipeline.

David Ure

@familyguy

Thanks Steve; really looking forward to them.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Just reached 100 likes on the Suluk 46 facebook page! Not a huge amount but slow and steady wins the race…right?

Question for everyone…as I was doing a little research. Would "Instagram" be the prefered choice over "twitter"? Or maybe both? I have had a number of people ask about instagram so I was thinking that I may go that route aswell.

I'm pretty new to this so any feedback would be great.

James Couch
    Spectator

@jbc

Locale: Cascade Mountains

You really want to do both. There are a lot of people that use both platforms, but also may that only use one. You will reach more people via both.

BTW – the ALL-W.E.T. looks very interesting.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Thanks James. Set up my instagram account today under the name suluk46. Now I just need an excuse to post!

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"Would "Instagram" be the prefered choice over "twitter"?"

Unless you're big fish and there's a large group of people that are seeking your business out, Facebook seems to throttle back on how much exposure your page gets with the hopes that you'll give in and pay out of pocket for some exposure. Some of the photographers I follow have commented on this and the consensus to make FB work as a marketing platform seems to be, either a)produce popular content on several social media platforms where people will seek you out and facebook won't throttle back, or b) pay facebook hard earned cash.

I have a Twitter account I almost never use. Whenever I log on to Twitter, it looks like complete chaos to me and I usually log off just as fast. I'll occasionally get the occasional email that someone I've never met is now following me on Twitter. I have no idea how that happens. If I had a business I was trying to promote, I'd spend equal time and energy on Twitter as I do on Facebook. Also, the modus operandi on Twitter seems to be to follow as many like minded people as possible with the hopes that they'll do the same. I realize how bizarre that sounds but that seems to be the deal.

I don't have an instagram account but I hear it's great for promoting a business. There are some strings attached.

http://www.cnet.com/news/instagram-says-it-now-has-the-right-to-sell-your-photos/

Edit to add: also keep in mind that for the most part, and relatively speaking, outdoorsy pages/channels/accounts/whathaveyous don't get a huge following in the sad little world of social media. Skurka for example, has fewer than 3,000 followers on YouTube and 8,000 on Facebook. I watched a sweet video last night of a guy who bikepacked from Alberta to Arizona. The video had fewer than 400 views.

Compare that to video games. My kid's a gamer and routinely watches sneak peek YouTube videos on soon to be released games. The gore du jour is the soon to be released Mortal Kombat X. Most of those channels have a half million subscribers or more and the videos are often times getting a million views. Assuming that these guys monetize their videos, not a bad extra source of income for them. I know one photographer who'll throw in some video game faff here and there. He may truly be into gaming but I suspect it's more to do with bringing viewers and clicks to his channel.

Don't really see a nexus between gaming and outdoor gear but diversifying the content of your page with other activities you're interested in probably wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

What about a blog platform? I get all my backpacking related goodness from blogs with an RSS reader. Sometimes I see other articles/products/etc through Facebook but often I get bored seeing stupid articles my "friends" have shared that I close it and miss many backpacking related shares. My RSS feeds make sure I see it.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Do both. You can easily post to FB and Twitter via Instagram at the same time as well.

Photos have a nice way of being shared well.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

"…gore du jour…"
    Lovely phrase. Thanks for that :)

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Steven,

Please keep sending me emails. I don't do social media.

edited: Sometimes I get confused betweenLawson Kline and Steven Evans. I have bought gear from both and highly recommend both. Ah, the perils of getting older.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Thank you for the feedback! I dont expect to have a ton of followers but hopefully it is valuable for the ones that do. I am always working on something kinda cool and it isnt always up on my website because of the time involved to do that. I guess I will see how it goes….thanks everyone.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

A little late to this but don't overlook Instagram. If you are good at tagging your photos, you will be happily surprised at what people come look at :)
    My biggest categories are #hiking #backpacking and #preppers lol….

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Hi Sarah,
    Better late than never! Great feedback – I set up an instagram account too and am learning the wonderful world of hashtags…it's linked to my twitter…and my facebook…it has become a very easy way to share things as opposed to modifying my website. Hopefully others see value in it aswell.

Steve

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools