Topic

thermos

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking thermos

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    John Higgins
    BPL Member

@sliggins1483

anyone use a nalgene with insulation for thermos, my thermos lid is leaking and waiting to hear back from snow peak if they have replacement lids for there kanpai thermos, i like to hike with coffee,hot chocolate, hot cider. I've warmed up hunersdorf bottles with drink mixes before but never piping hot like coffee should be i think i'm going to try this anyway just thought i would get some feedback from anyone who has tried this. or any recommendations for small thermos in the future

John Klinepeter
    BPL Member

@johnzotk

Locale: Northern Rockies, USA

I bought a Zojirushi tuffslim ~0.5 liter metal "thermos", used it for several years and was never very happy with it. About two years ago I purchased an REI-branded ~0.5 liter "thermos" based on their glowing website reviews. The REI product performed much better in a side-by-side test at home starting with boiling water and measuring the temperature after some number of hours. Sorry, I do not remember the exact numbers but would guess that the REI water content was about 30 degrees F warmer after 4 to 12 hours. As a bonus the REI product weighs less! The Zoji has been retired.

On Friday I enjoyed a nice hot cup of coffee midway through an XC ski.

Note: I see the opposite conclusions/ratings on the current REI offerings. It is tough to keep current on the newest models.

BC Bob
    Spectator

@bcbob

Locale: Vancouver Island

"….or any recommendations for small thermos in the future…."

I use this 500 ml Thermos on day hikes. Nice one-handed push-button popup top (see photo). Lots of good reviews. I'm quite happy with it. They say it's "leak proof". So far, so good (a year).

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

comparison of various vacuum bottles here:

https://www.wildsnow.com/15114/vacuum-bottle-comparo/#more-15114

A plastic bottle with foam jacket will compare very poorly to a vacuum bottle in terms of how long it keeps the contents hot or cold. Have tried it, and the foam jacket is better than nothing but not close to the thermos.

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

I've found Thermos to be one of the few brand names worth paying for.

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

I have the 1 liter version. It isn't what I'd call ultralight, but it does the job. I let it sit with boiling water in it,for 10-15 minutes before filing with coffee, tea, or soup and it keeps it reasonably warm all day in 0or below temps, and I don't even bury it in my nice warm pack.

YMMA, HYOH, ETC. Have fun!

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

I had this Thermos bottle for a couple years, before I lost it – it was pretty amazing. I had the 32 ounce version but I think I'll get the 25-ounce if I ever replace it.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

I've had awesome luck with the Zoji.

It is actually my wife's. She had it before she met me..now I steal it. :)

Keeps my beverages hot. Excellent construction. Really like it. Mrs Mags complains that it is slightly dented and scuffed versus when she used it. Ha!

As an aside, the Mrs had bought the Zoji rice cooker as well. Amazing little device. I do most of the cooking in house, and I've grown to appreciate it for not only rice, but soups, oatmeal and many other things.

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

Anonymous
    Inactive

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"A plastic bottle with foam jacket will compare very poorly to a vacuum bottle in terms of how long it keeps the contents hot or cold."

I have a plastic Thermos, and it is much lighter in weight than a metal one.

–B.G.–

Will Elliott
    BPL Member

@elliott-will

Locale: Juneau, AK

With apologies to Wildsnow, regarding Nalgene and parka vs thermos: by the time the water in the Nalgene gets cold, you would have drank it already. I own 6 thermoses but I don't take them backpacking, sking, climbing. Kayaking or snowmachining, yes.

Carry your nalgene in your parka. Each time you put it on to rest, you put heat into the system and keep the water from freezing.

For the weight of the thermos you can buy a HUGE amount of feathers to keep everything warm, not just a little bit of water.

That said, when weight isn't an issue (like indoors), I've tried Stanley, thermos, hydroflask, and klean kanteen. Stanley seemed to be the most insulative but the hydroflask is most comfortable to drink out of due to the beveled lip. The nalgene style lid keeper is handy too. I would go with the hydroflask and test it against the Nalgene to see which you like best.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Bob G – Plastic thermos? I've seen plastic insulated jugs, and plastic inside and out with a glass vacuum bottle sandwiched between, but never an actual plastic vacuum bottle. Tell us more, please!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I have a Stanley nineteen 13 stainless steel thermos. 12 ounces. Holds 16 ounces.

Kind of heavy for backpacking.

Goes from 200 F to 180 F in 4 hours.

Yeah, I don't think you can make a plastic thermos.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I like the Timolino mug which is a tall cylinder with a three-part plastic cap (http://www.timolino.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VMB-25TGPB) . You remove the top to drink and the bottom half forms a lip-friendly rim that also has a removable screen in the bottom. You can drop tea leaves in the mug, fill it with hot water and then drink while the screen filters the leaves. They advertise it as useable for coffee grounds, but they would have to be coarse grind. REI marketed them with their logo and I've seen others. Timolino has several versions with variations in trim. It is about the diameter of a pop can and a little over 8" tall.

I use it for brewed coffee and don't use the screen. It will keep up to 12oz hot all day. It seals well too.

Sigg makes one that looks about the same, but you drink straight from the metal rim.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools