Topic

Ediza and lakes of the Ritter Range, Sierra Nevada, California

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Ediza and lakes of the Ritter Range, Sierra Nevada, California

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Larry Sullivan

@150mph

Locale: Los Angeles

This area of the Eastern Sierra has some of the most spectacular lakes in the lower 48. 13,000 ft. Mt. Ritter shares the skyline with Banner Peak and the jagged Minarets sub-range. Access via the ski resort town of Mammoth Lakes is easy, but at 8 miles up a big mountain, you'll get away from the crowds. I first fell for this area hiking through on the John Muir Trail and knew I had to come back for more.

This was a 3 day loop trek of about 23 miles, not including dayhikes to some other lakes. There's a cross-country section that weeds out the beginners, and leads to a pair of amazing lakes – Iceberg and Cecile – that will take your breath away. I've just finished a new page of this hike on my site, but the hike was in Aug. '13 – hope you don't mind. I know some of you have been up here, maybe this will inspire you still…

All the photos full size at my site PlanetRambler.com

First view of Ediza Lake, with the Minarets to the south

After a dayhiking to Nydiver Lakes a mile north, the return trip offered this view south to Ediza and Iceberg Lake in the distance

Cabin Lake is hidden on the eastern mountain above Ediza

Iceberg Lake and the Minarets. Here the trail ends and the boulder-hopping begins. Access to Cecile Lake is up the scree slope at left

An unusual red rock at Cecile Lake, the highest on the route, with pointy Clyde Minaret

Clyde Minaret pokes the sky above Minaret Lake. The Rim Fire was burning in Yosemite at the time and the smoke drift was mostly north, but on the 3rd day, the wind shifted south, adding moody drama to the light.

Here's a map I made of the route.

Joe Lynch
    BPL Member

@rushfan

Locale: Northern California

Thanks for posting. I love that area.

Doug Smith
    BPL Member

@jedi5150

Locale: Central CA

Larry, thanks for the trip report and the excellent photos! I attempted that same trip in reverse this past September, but my heavy pack-weight got the better of me and I only made it to Minaret Lake. Your photos make me want to go and finish it for sure.

Your shot of Iceberg Lake is by far the best I've ever seen. Absolutely gorgeous! Can you tell me what focal length (35mm equivalent) you used for that shot? I often see shots of Cecile and Ediza, but Iceberg gets neglected from a photography standpoint. You did it proud.

I loved your bigger photos on your blog. I camped on the rise just above your tent site at Minaret Lake:
    Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Larry Sullivan

@150mph

Locale: Los Angeles

Thanks Joe. Thanks Doug, appreciate that. My go-to lens is an 18-55mm nikkor, really catches the wide view. But still the pano's are stitched together in photoshop. Hope you get back there!

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Surprised you say going to Iceberg and Cecile are XC, mostly trail by them, bit of a short route finding down off the rocks to the valley and onward. Pooch, RIP, and I have been that route, kinda tough dropping down to the valley was all, we both made it. With packs. Very nice photos. I need to go again, but spend more time by Ediza and bagging the Minarets.
    Duane

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

It seems like nobody climbs Mt. Ritter anymore. What's the fun in that?

–B.G.–

Thomas Sabido
    BPL Member

@forgeadventures

Thanks for the great trip report. Still good, even 4 years later.

Bradley B
    BPL Member

@stax

Ediza is my favorite Sierra lake (that I’ve visited).   Love the place.

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

^ Agreed

Went their a couple years ago and it was very pretty, worth the effort. The pack weight make a huge difference in the ability to enjoy the hike.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

I broke my ankle there and I still love it!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools