Topic

need new winter white gas stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) need new winter white gas stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My beloved peak 1 apex just died the fuel supply hose started leaking the stove while kind of a POS had its good points it burned hot and it simmered very nicely. I need a new stove by tomorrow at noon. Two choices Msr whisperlite universal or a Dragonfly. Other than winter camping it will get used on kayaking trips I do like to bake with an Outback oven and I like using white gas if possible. Will the whisperlite simmer well enough to use with the outback oven when using white gas or will I have to use canisters for that. The whisperlite is lighter and more choices for fuel the dragonfly simmers better but is heavier and whitegas only. Any other pro's con's…Hiken Jim… Duane… ANYBODY… IM SO CONFUSED PLEASE HELP MEEEEE!!!!

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Another option is the Primus Omni fuel TI.
    I have the original and love it but end up packing
    an Optimus Vega Remote canister stove.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Mark,

A Whisperlite Universal actually simmers pretty well, and it's the best simmering Whisperlite since about 1986 (let's just say I've seen a LOT of Whiperlites). :) Now does it simmer well enough for baking? I'm not sure. I haven't used that set up.

The DragonFly is bigger and heavier and it tends to clog at the point of the in-line filter, but it has very fine simmer control.

HJ
    Adventures in Stoving
    Hikin Jim's Blog

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Oh, and I'm not sure who told you that a DragonFly is white gas only, but whoever it was, they were wrong. The DragonFly is multi-fuel but cannot handle canister gas.

The Whisperlite Universal can handle the same fuels as a DragonFly but with the addition of canister gas.

I've got an old Apex II that I might be willing to part with, but I don't think I could get it to you by tomorrow at noon.

HJ
    Adventures in Stoving
    Hikin Jim's Blog

Mike Henrick
    Spectator

@hikerbox

Locale: Boston

I like my old Dragonfly. It's got a 2,000 mile bike tour and a couple dozen car camping and winter backpacking excursions on it over the last 8 years. No clogs, I just keep the fuel filter in a zip lock when not in use.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Now Jim when you say it simmers well is that with white gas?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have an MSR Dragonfly and, while it DOES work wonderfully as a winter stove and has the best and lowest simmer I've found it is HEAVY. That's my only gripe about this very good stove. I believe it's the heaviest stove MSR makes.
    I bought it 15 years ago because I could not bake on my trusty SVEA 123 brass stove. It would overheat and over pressurize, a very dangerous situation.

So look at a Whisperlite or Whisperlite Universal.

I agree, white gas stoves are the most reliable winter stoves going.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Yes. It simmers even better on canister gas of course, but it simmers well on white gas. I even got it to simmer on kerosene which is a bit of a trick on some stoves. Check out my Review of the Whisperlite Universal, the version on my blog. The last two photos are of the Whisperlite Universal simmering while using liquid fuel.

HJ
    Adventures in Stoving
    Hikin Jim's Blog

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Thanks again Jim great review. Thanks Eric but a simmerlite is out as I need it by tomorrow. I picked up a whisperlite universal I hope I don't change my mind and run back in the morning

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Mark,

Depending on where you bought it, you could try it out tonight and see if you can make it simmer well. If you bought it at REI you could still take it back if you tell them it doesn't simmer properly.

How to simmer with white gas? Here's what I do:
    1. Fill the bottle no more than 2/3 full with white gas. Less is more when it comes to simmering. You want a lot of air space.
    2. Use only a few pumps (3 to 5) when you pressurize the bottle. Resist the temptation to pump more if at all possible. Yes, I know they say to pump more. Don't.
    3. Prime the stove. If you use alcohol to prime (a decided advantage here), double prime the stove (prime it two times). You want it good and hot at the start.
    4. Fire the stove, open up the valve. You won't get max flame since the bottle pressure is low, but let it run at the fullest flame for the pressure you do have.
    5. Gradually adjust the flame to simmer. Adjust in small increments as you get closer to a true simmering setting. Recall that there will be a lag between the time you change the valve and the time the flame changes. Let the flame stabilize before making the next increment.

I've been able to get a really good simmer on a Whisperlite Universal. The older Whisperlites? Not so much (unless you go way way back before they changed to shaker jets).

HJ
    Adventures in Stoving
    Hikin Jim's Blog

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I really like my old Dragonfly, simmers very nice. I've simmered stew a few years ago on it, love the two valves, no tinkering. I'm taking it this weekend, along with one other stove out of my collection, I have so many, I have to take two unless on a summer vacation, then its concerns about weight. Having issues with the o-rings in the hose for my KAP Arctic so it will have to stay home, it was going to be my go to stove this weekend. Thought I had all the right sizes replaced correctly.
    Duane

James Couch
    Spectator

@jbc

Locale: Cascade Mountains

Also consider how many people you are routinely cooking for. If you working with be groups and larger pots the Dragonfly has a stability advantage that might be worth the extra weight.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Dragonfly is slightly better for big pots. Whisperlite is decidedly better for small pots. If you'll use it with a pot of less than 1 L, you might consider the Whisperlite.

HJ
    Adventures in Stoving
    Hikin Jim's Blog

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools