Topic

Spin fishing on the beach, Little Harbor, Catalina Island

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Spin fishing on the beach, Little Harbor, Catalina Island

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

Over the break I took my family to Catalina Island for a quasi-backpacking trip (I hiked in, my wife took the kids on the shuttle the 7 miles to the campground, Little Harbor). Since my eldest son (6 y.o.) had such a great time fishing on his first backpacking trip up into the Sierra I decided to look into fishing from the beach. I did a bit of research put together a cheap kit and had a great time. We caught two nice little Rock Wrasse and big fat Opaleye.

I was surprised to find out that my typical fishing set-up matches pretty well what people fishing in the surf use (6-7' spin rod with 6-8 lb test). I didn't want to get my new rod and reel salty, plus they recommend a medium to heavy rod. I got a cheap 6.5' telescoping spin rod from amazon and matched it with an old reel I had laying around.

http://www.amazon.com/South-Bend-Proton-Telescopic-78-Inch/dp/B00IAMH1Z2/ref=pd_sim_sg_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1C2WGQC0RSJHJ8NM6S8D

I used a Carolina Rig, which looks like a spin fly fishing setup, but replace the bobber with a 1/2-1 oz egg sinker. For a lure I had the best luck with a camo Gulp sandworm with a no 6 Owner mosquito hook. The fishing forum I went to refers to those Gulp sandworms as "crack" and I can see why. I was surprised at how lightweight the setup was. It would make for a pretty darn compact setup for anyone hiking along the beach. I also brought some MORF Grub and swim baits (along some pro-cure). The swimbait were bigger, but the grub were similar to the sandworms.

And here are the results:

Alex w Rock Wrasse

Opaleye

The Rock Wrasse were pretty tasty. I am surprised the Opaleye bit on the sandworm. They are vegetarian. Most people suggested trying to catch them by chumming with canned or frozen peas. My son had a blast bringing it in, but was afraid to touch it once he got it on shore.

Dave T

@davet

Thanks for the report!

I'm getting back into fishing after a several decade layoff, so the more backpacking/fishing reports, the better. I'm planning lots of kayak based fishing, on the coast and in east side lakes. Plus backpacking fishing for food with a little telescoping rod.

And I really want to get out to the islands for hiking, kayaking, and fishing. Thanks!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools