Topic

MYOG Around the House

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Around the House

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

I started making coffee with a french press recently. Highly recommended. It makes two cups, which is great, but by the time I finish the first cup the rest of the coffee is usually cold. What to do!?

Enter Reflectix:

Now the second cup is at the perfect temperature when I'm ready to drink it!

Has anybody else put their backpacking MYOG skills/materials to use around the house? Share what you made!

Gerald L
    Spectator

@mtngeronimo

Locale: SoCal

Nothing to add except that I did wrap my french press with reflectix this morning : ) Why I didn't think of this sooner I do not know. Great tip!

Jon Holthaus
    BPL Member

@t25hatch

More theory than gear per se. I've sewn a number of things around the house, as well as I've also made my gear closet based on theory as well, all for the same reasoning of "making myself and simpler solutions."

A lot of my furniture is also handmade. I think the thought that separates a myog fan and one from the DIY crowd, is anyone can build from plans, but the "Make/Modify Your Own Gear" caters the build to the specific needs of the user..

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

Yes in a round about way. Bought my first sewing machine for MYOG sailing gear. Then a lighter weight machine for MYOG BPing projects which led to, as mentioned in my "beware MYOG newbies" post, to window dressings and clothing mods for the wife.

I have also made stuff like some very cool tool pouches for my mobile tool kit and a nice custom tote for the wife.

As far as other MYOG projects outside of sewing, there are too many to list. I have done time as a mechanic, machinist, gold smith/jeweler ect. I have always been a tool junkie and obsessed with making my own stuff. Stuff made around here ranges from my wife's wedding rings to gun parts used in competitive target sports. Home gear or house gear more specifically isn't my favorite stuff to make but it seems to be in the highest demand by the Admiral, go figure 'eh :)

jimmyb

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Jimmyb, it sounds like you meet the target demographic to be the first on your block to buy your own 3-D printer.

–B.G.–

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

Ah yes Bob, I surely would like to play around with one of those ingenious little machines. I'm a bit antiquated with my manual Bridgeport mill. It was the low buck low tech route. Anyway, I'm at the age of trying to simplify my life and have purged much of my material items so others can have fun using the stuff and so that I can spend more time away from projects and more on my little boat and in the woods.

jimmyb

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools