Topic

PCT which way?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Clayton

@kclayton

Locale: Greater Yellowstone

Hello,
    I am planning on starting the PCT next summer but I am unable to start until June 2. I can continue through october. I would like to start at the Mexico border and finish in canada, but I am questioning whether or not it would be a better Idea to start at the canada border. Is June 2 to late to start at Mexico?
    Would there be to much snow in Washington to start there?

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Impossible to say at present. A La Nina winter is predicted for the Northwest, which could bring more than the usual amount of snow, meaning a southbound hike from Canada at the beginning of June would be a snowy slog. Should it be a dry winter and warm spring, a so-bo hike then would be more plausible.

As you probably know hiking through the desert in June would be miserable, if not downright dangerous. I'm pretty sure nobody's placing water caches that late.

Maybe start northbound at Kennedy Meadows in June, then do the Mexico-KM segment at the back end? Or, if you're a fast hiker, start in Canada later (July?) and hike through.

You'll find the most up-to-date info here:

http://www.pcta.org/

Subscribe to the mailing list here:

http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools