Topic

2014 Staff Picks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable 2014 Staff Picks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

Amen, sister!

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Personally, I would love to see a handful of motivated individuals try to create a new site. BPL is really only a gathering place(forum) and gear swap right now since the article topics are so soft. So, no different than Whiteblaze, Hammockforums, etc. If some folks put one together, most everyone would either migrate over or the drop in traffic would make some changes happen around BPL.

Ryan

Dave T

@davet

"Personally, I would love to see a handful of motivated individuals try to create a new site."

But, as we know from BPL telling us, forum software and bandwidth is soooo expensive, and soooo complicated, that we'd never be able to do it.

Oh wait… it's not.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"So, no different than Whiteblaze, Hammockforums, etc."

For some reason I don't understand, BPL is far more civil than Whiteblaze. And there is a lot more "experience based" discussion versus "Well, if it were me …", or "I don't really know, but …" I hate to see that change. When I think of WB, draconian, rude, arrogant come to mind.

"Personally, I would love to see a handful of motivated individuals try to create a new site."

So, everything is in place, right here.
    Recruit. Write a proposal.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> the pros/cons of going to a canister stove for melting snow and I think I've
    > narrowed it down to the Kovea Spider or the MSR reactor.

Highly biased Roger opinion: I would always go for the remote canister stove as long as it has a pre-heat system of some sort. Just for a start, it's so much more flexible in how you use it.

Cheers

Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

Wouldn't be too hard to do. The only downside is that these forums contain useful lore, and most of that would be lost. Posters who are still around would be able to re-post their content to a new site, but otherwise there are IP issues. Short of buying the site from RJ, there would need to be an organized effort to reach out to old posters and get their content.

Personally I think this site has one of the cleaner layouts around; PHP-BB forums are a nightmare to navigate or search through.

-J

Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

The Kovea is quite a good stove for the money. I have never melted snow with mine but it performs all other cooking tasks excellently.

I mostly use for small group and family camping. When paired with a good windscreen it handles well. IMO you can"t find a better $60 remote canister stove.
    I pair it with a Snow Peak 900 ml pot. I can store stove, canister and windscreen in pot.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Billy, Eric, et al; you realize the reason ya'll hang around so frequently is that BPL is the place for expert, beyond-spec information, right? If by-the-book info is what you seek, Backpacker, GearJunkie, and many others are patiently waiting.

Ian, get the Kovea. The Reactor requires a lot of hands-on help (literally) below 0.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

"Billy, Eric, et al; you realize the reason ya'll hang around so frequently is that BPL is the place for expert, beyond-spec information, right?"

David,
    you never cease to amaze me… from promoting Mt. Bike use on the JMT to now telling me just why it is that I frequent BPL…

the answer to your rhetorical question: Wrong.

billy

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Thanks David. Kovea looks like the way to go. Time to swipe the card at Flat Cat Gear.

As far as expert beyond spec information goes, yes agreed, +1, etc. Gear reviews here are (can only think of one exception) quite informative unlike other periodicals who publish thinly veiled infomercials.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

"For some reason I don't understand, BPL is far more civil than Whiteblaze. And there is a lot more "experience based" discussion versus "Well, if it were me …", or "I don't really know, but …" I hate to see that change. When I think of WB, draconian, rude, arrogant come to mind."

I meant not any different than WB/HF from a type of website perspective, not from a type of user perspective. Those websites dont offer articles really, only a forum and gear swap. WB by its very nature will have a lot of inexperienced users – people seek out information as they start their AT thru hike. Mostly young people. With that said, HammockForums is the nicest group of folks you could ask for and their knowledge base isn't far behind BPL all things being equal.

IMO, BPL is not very civil. There are tons of things that go on here that would not be allowed on other sites. That's both good and bad.

I say all of this not to be harsh, obviously I like the folks here and BPL.

Ryan

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Ryan

> There are tons of things that go on here that would not be allowed on other sites.
    If you see something which you think is not appropriate – use the Report button. I don't guarantee to solve every problem – many of them I simply cannot do anything about, but I will try where I can.
    Where two people are having a minor cat fight, I usually let them display their bad manners as an object lesson for others to consider.
    If it escalates to a flame war I may ask them to tone it down a bit. Hey – I'm kinda lazy, you know?

Cheers

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

"If you see something which you think is not appropriate – use the Report button. I don't guarantee to solve every problem – many of them I simply cannot do anything about, but I will try where I can"

Ahh, you see, but I am quite lazy too. lol. On other websites, we don't have to hit the report button. They have multiple moderators and everyone knows that some things simply aren't allowed. Personally, I don't care if two people want to duke it out, but that does cause people to leave.

Ryan

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Ian, I can bring my spider if you'd like to see if before buying.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Oscar Pappa Sierra Echo Charlie;)

I've been flirting with the flat cat bobcat paired with the Evernew 1.3, baking pan, and kovea / epicurean stove long enough! I think it's time to stop windowshopping.

I hope to order it later this week.

Thanks for the offer though.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Well if "by the spec" means re-iterating that the manufacturer themselves dont recommend using their own product where life or limb is at stake …

Ill point that out when BPL fails to … Anytime, anywhere

I would hope that folks point out the risk of doing so regardless of how "hardcore" the site is

Folks use what they want, however the readers should understand the risks

;)

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

"Well if "by the spec" means re-iterating that the manufacturer themselves dont recommend using their own product where life or limb is at stake …
    Ill point that out when BPL fails to … Anytime, anywhere
    I would hope that folks point out the risk of doing so regardless of how "hardcore" the site is
    Folks use what they want, however the readers should understand the risks"

++++ many for Eric…

THIS (and Eric's other posts on this thread) is the kind of self-correcting post that I love about this site…
    Balances the oft misleading ego-bloated, self-declared 'experts' opinions pro-offered as technical …. such as David C refers to …

billy

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Git 'er done Billy. Git 'er done.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Sorry if I am/was a bit over the top…
    Dad is headed to the hospital so I'm not at my best right now..

billy

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

"Luckily I am in prime desert hiking season, so I have no complaints."

Nick, I wish I could be in the desert hiking right now instead of in below zero Montana, but snowshoeing in fresh pow with full-on sun is such an indescribable, ineluctable joy. I also have no complaints!

As for complaints, I try to get them all out of the way before breakfast.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Billy

Best wishes for your father.

cheers

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Sorry to hear that Billy. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I wish I could be in the desert hiking right now instead of in below zero Montana, but snowshoeing in fresh pow with full-on sun is such an indescribable, ineluctable joy. I also have no complaints!"

Any day an old fart can be up in the mountains is a good day, no matter what the weather is doing. It's all good.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Doug,
    Thanks for the shout out. Nice to see your ice tool is still going strong. It was fun working with everyone to develop it. I do see you drummed up some controversy, which is not unheard of when discussing the TICA – check out some other forums that discuss it if you don't believe me!

Something worth mentioning is that after the intial batch was released, I designed a much stronger carbon shaft by implementing semi-tapered internal geometry. Of course, if the carbon shaft still makes you nervous, I can make it with a full titanium shaft….

And on the top of my favorites list:

1) Buff – it has been on every trip with me, no matter the weather, for many many years so I can see why Kevin likes it too.

2) Forty below Light Energy Overboots – These literally changed my life in terms of winter hiking, I use trail runners all year around with warm and dry feet.

3) Six Moons Designs Refuge X – just under 1 lb, 2 person fully enclosed shelter. Its starting to really show its age but I absolutely love it.

Thanks everyone!

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Of course, if the carbon shaft still makes you nervous, I can make it with a full titanium shaft…."

Oh no, the potential price of the full titanium shaft makes me far, far more nervous than the carbon fiber…

More seriously, having experimented with and used bamboo for hiking poles and finding them to have an excellent weight to strength and durability ratio at a very low cost, i wonder if some kind of bamboo/aluminum or bamboo/carbon fiber composite might offer a strong enough, but relatively light and lower cost alternative?

It is easy enough to ram out the inner culm of bamboo rods, maybe insert an expoxied carbon fiber rod into same?

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 118 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools