Topic

List for this week

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists List for this week

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Hoosierdaddy and I are doing a mid week fast pack on a section of the PCT here in Washington State. Our weather outlook is a 60% chance of snow or rain. Most likely we will be hiking in an early fall snow storm.

Our goal is 28 miles in 2 days and one night. We will be in subalpine most of the way, in meadows and on the open crest. We plan on camping in the lowest section for more warmth.

I took a hard look at my gear this week. It has to do the job right, and it has to be light. I need more gear than in summer, but I don't want to carry extra weight. We know we will be in our rain gear the majority of the trip. Trail runners are being left behind for waterproof boots.
    Weights are in ounces or in lbs (ie… .2 means 2 ounces)

Gear list:

Type: 3 1/2 season trip.
    Elevation: 4K-6K Open, exposed to wind, rain and snow.
    River fords: 1 minor one.

Carried in pack:
    MtSmith Seraph Pack: 2.2
    On pack ('Biner, E Light, Thermometer & whistle): .2
    Silnylon Pack Cover: .4
    Thermarest Z Lite pad: .15
    REI SubKilo 15* Ladies Sleeping Bag: 1.15
    Chrysalis Tent: 3 lbs
    Emergency Blanket(ground cloth): .2
    Cook Kit (MSR Titan pan, MSR Ti mug, lighter, waterproof matches, paper towels, stuff sack, Micro Pur tablets, spork): .8
    Primus stove and large fuel canister: .11
    FBC Cozy: .2
    Knife: .3
    Empty 2L Bladder: .1
    Hat: .2
    Bandana: .1
    Clothes(1 pair socks,shirt,underwear, thermal bottoms): 1.1
    Headlamp, Tikka: .3
    TP: .3
    First Aid Kit: .12
    Keys/pepper spray/wallet: .6
    Sunglasses & Case: .3
    Water bottles: 2.7
    Food: 1.11
    Snack food: .5
    Ursack .7
    Umbrella: .11
    Fleece jacket: .15
    Cell Phone: .4
    water bottle filter: .5
    umbrella: .11

On person:
    OR Jacket: .11
    Gloves: .3
    maps: .1
    Trekking poles
    Pants
    Shirt
    Camera & Case: .8

With water and food, once I add in my phone, wallet and keys and last minute food items, I will be at around 20 lbs. The water filter is allowing me to carry only 1 quart of water till we are about 5 miles in, when I will grab water for the next 5 miles. The second day there are lakes every freaking mile to filter from.

Overall, I am pretty happy with what I am carrying. The load is light and my back should be happy. I may be hiding in my tent all night, and I won't have a book to read, but hey, I can live with a loaded weight of 20 lbs.

Pamela Wyant

@riverrunner

There are a few areas you COULD save a few more ounces, but overall if you are happy with it, it looks like a good list.

The first aid kit seems heavy – I would guess that also has some gear considered more 'survival' than 'first aid'.

I'd probably go with a little more insulating clothing if I were expecting possible snow, but I tend to err on the side of more warmth rather than less.

Pam

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I ended up adding about 6 ounces more food….as I know I will burn through my food to stay warm.
    I ended up getting new pants last night at REI, their Alpine pants, that are WP/B. Not UL by any means, but I will be wearing them for 2 days straight.

By taking a 2 wall solo tent I will be a lot warmer than I would be in my tarptent.
    Due to pack size I had to pack my Prolite 3 ladies pad instead of the ZLite.
    Still, my weight is about 21 lbs. I can live with that! Though I am tempted and may still drop my down vest in the pack.

The weather report is saying up to 6" of snow tomorrow. Woo!

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Sarah – I hope you post a trip report somewhere on this site about your 2-day trip and how your gear worked. From my desk in Seattle, I've seen some wet and wild weather during the last few days. I get to go out in the mountains tomorrow, though, rain, snow, or shine. Like Katherine Hepburn said in the movie "African Queen," we can't be held responsible for the weather. To keep this a gear list comment, I followed someone's advice on this site and bought a 5 oz. Raines Skinni Mini umbrella at Bartell's and have used it with great success. It would save you about 6 oz. on your gear list.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sarah, If I anticipated that much time in the tent due to weather, a book would be a necessity. Possibly a book on tape loaded onto a Shuffle or Nano would make it easier to overcome the weight challenge.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I will post a tr :-) It was an "interesting" trip to say the least!
    I did take the down vest (good move), the solo tent (even better!). We had some snow to say the least! 9" at one point, and blizzard conditions…..
    Fortunately, I was so tired last night I feel asleep at 8 pm and didn't get up till 7 am. That was a first……..

P. P.

@toesnorth

Locale: PNW

I also look forward to your report. I also want to know what you ate. :-)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I have put one up in the trip section :-)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools