Topic

VO2max and long distance hiking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique VO2max and long distance hiking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

Yep, the "New Alpinism" book covers a bit about the vo2 max bit, noting that beyond any initial improvements to it from "getting into shape", it's not really possible to significantly improve it.

The real focus of the book is on increasing one's aerobic threshold, such that you can perform at a higher level for long endurance activities while maintaining a strength reservoir for the difficult parts. The basic plan it outlines for building an endurance base involves spending a large volume of training time in zone 1 (55 – 75% of max heart rate, or alternatively a pace at which you can still easily breathe through your nose). I believe there's a note in there from Mark Twight commenting on how this worked for building year-on-year gains, in contrast to high intensity training.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

In exercise physiology in college I underwent a few tests to measure my VO2 max. I think my value was 58 on a stationary bike. I consistently beat team mates with higher values on our cycling team, but it was a sort of psychological glass ceiling that bummed me out a little. My wife was a nationally ranked runner in college, and is really eerie how perfectly evenly matched we are in our capacities for aerobic output. It makes most outdoor pursuits very pleasant in that neither of us has to wait for the other, and we both get strong workouts whatever we are doing.

I fully support the "breath-through-your-nose" level of effort over long days for building hiking endurance. I used to think I had to go hard to build capacity, but after doing a regiment like someone quoted Roman Dial as doing in prep for the Arctic 1000, I was surprised at how prepared I have been for some intense multi-day solo trips through coastal Alaskan rugged backcountry.

Jack M
    Spectator

@theanimal

"No question that raising your lactate threshold will help you hike faster, especially in hilly terrain. If Roman had thrown in an interval block or two during months 2-4 he would have seen some impressive results."

Dave C, can you clarify here? I understand that interval training can help build higher stamina levels. But what further advantage would it have proved for the Arctic 1000? The ability to go faster and further with a lower recovery time?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Jack, what I've found to be true in my own training is that raising lactate threshold relatively early in a 4-6 month cycle allows me to train endurance at a higher level. With backpackers being for most purposes ultra-endurance athletes, we want to maximize our 8-14 hour capacity. Doing intervals allows you to do that later endurance work at a higher speed while operating at the same, modest level of aerobic output.

For something like the Arctic 1000, it would translate to something like a steep 500 foot climb up a ridge or a few miles of tussock slogging being doable at a reasonable pace without going into the red.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Another aspect to having a higher LT is being able to perform at a higher level on less carbohydrates and more fat. This was a strategic part of their food plan.

Mike Henrick
    Spectator

@hikerbox

Locale: Boston

First thanks for all the great commentary everyone, this is why BPL is my favorite forum.

My original intent was a strategy to enable a larger raise in LT but I wonder if I got my concepts confused. As many have posted, raising VO2max has its limits and doesn't necessarily correlate to better performance but what about raising performance during VO2max? If a trained endurance runner starts out running a 6 minute mile and trains to running 5 minute miles without a change in VO2max, he or she is raising their efficiency/power at VO2max. Is that still the "aerobic ceiling" that relates to LT or am I mixing things up?

The end goal of my original post was to raise LT during the hike to make a normal hiking pace produce less fatigue and allow for more hours of hiking.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

"The end goal of my original post was to raise LT during the hike to make a normal hiking pace produce less fatigue and allow for more hours of hiking."

A small bit of semantics, just to be sure …

You want to raise your LT Prior to the hike? Right?

In which case I'd agree. Going in with a higher LT will make the days more enjoyable.

Mike Henrick
    Spectator

@hikerbox

Locale: Boston

Greg I'm thinking volume is enough to raise LT during the hike, but it's pretty hard to bang out high intensity intervals to raise your efficiency at VO2max during a long trip. If I go in with a more efficient aerobic system maybe I'll see bigger gains than if I trained LT alone?

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

You are right that increasing volume is initially the best way to improve LT. The two other components that are currently being used as people get fitter are maximal steady state running (maybe 10% of the total volume of training) and lastly interval training (again about 10% of total volume).

Good synopsis of current thinking here:

http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article%20folder/lactatethreshold.html

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Thanks BJ, that article is a very good summary.

Bill Segraves
    BPL Member

@sbill9000-2

Mike, if I'm understanding your goal, it's to get yourself well-trained for long backpacking days without having to put in huge volume during training.

IME, the answer's yes. Putting in big miles ahead of time is one way to get ready for a trip with long days, but you can also do it with a combination of high intensity work to build your cardiovascular fitness and enough trail time to get your muscles ready to take the miles. 45-60' on a bike several days/week, including some interval training, plus a hike of 6-10 miles on the weekends, with a normal weight pack, preps a body nicely for 20-25 mile days or more on the trail.

Cheers,

Bill

Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

I did a test one time before a week long backpack at high elevation (the Sierra Nevada). Before the trip I tested my own red blood cell count, white blood cell count, lung capacity, and recovery of pulse after running a 440. Then we did the week long trip, and I repeated the tests. All measurements had increased, the lung capacity by 20%. Most profound was the recovery of pulse after an 8 minute pace 440. It was like I was walking, not running.

What I do these days to prepare for a big peak climb or long backpack is set a treadmill to maximum incline, put on boots and pack, and walk. Increase the time and speed and pack weight up to 75 pounds (for a big peak). I'd probably do less weight than that now, like a max of 40 lbs for a backpack.

Then 2 weeks before the trip I go climb a big peak, like Borah (12,400) in Idaho or Rainier (14,000) in WA. Then when the trip starts I feel pretty strong. That is not super scientific, but it works for this 65 year old. I did those tests when I was 18 years old.

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools