Topic

Intuition Liners for Mukluks/over boots

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Intuition Liners for Mukluks/over boots

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Anyone use Intuition liners for their Mukluks or over boots?
    They now offer a special mukluk model.
    It seems
    Ike an interesting option, they are fairly light, and no absorbent, so a good option when you might get wet feet, Like on river trips.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have liners that are 50/50, gray wool felt on the inside and white polypropylene felt on the outside half.

I see they look like ski boot liners.

But NEVER MIND at $176. per pair !!

Anonymous
    Inactive

"It seems
    Ike an interesting option, they are fairly light, and no absorbent, so a good option when you might get wet feet, Like on river trips."

I agree on all counts, but holy guacamole batman, 176 dollars for a small amount of evazote foam?!

I've been making silnylon VBL booties recently. I think i could just make double booties (one slightly larger than the other), cut some evazote foam to similar shape, tape with tyvek tape, and fit between the silnylon booties. Or something similar. Won't be as pretty, but heck of a lot cheaper.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"But NEVER MIND at $176. per pair !!"

I own two pairs of Steger's, so I just ordered two pair of these. I'll bet they're toasty!

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Great finds Richard!
    Those look like some very interesting options, and Palau certainly has a huge selection.

It seems that we have been looking enviously at the comfort, warmth and water resistance of ski boots, so it seems logical to look at similar systems for non skiing winter use.

People have been using over boots with running shoes inside and or mukluks for snowshoeing. These would be a lighter option than running shoes and insulation separate, and offer good comfort under snowshoe bindings. If you dunk you foot, these can be used with only slight. discomfort, whereas running shoes and thick socks would require a fire to be dried.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

palau makes the baruntse liner, which has become a popular replacement liner for a variety of mountaineering boots. they come in every size and can be thermo molded. i have a pair for my old vasque ice 9000's. as for being comfortable under snowshoe straps, that to me is an open question. they have some, but not a lot of structure and if the mukluk compress, so will the liner to some degree. that being said, they do have more structure than say a Merrill trail glove or most other trail runners.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools