Topic

Tall gaiters and winter biking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring Tall gaiters and winter biking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I follow a fat biking blog at https://fatbikebrigade.wordpress.com/2014/12/27/december-randonnee-report-soapstone-basin/ and noted that some of the riders were wearing tall gaiters for riding in the snow. DOH! Gaiters would add some warmth, water resistance and abrasion protection for any cool/cold/wet weather biking.

Good blog in general too.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Unless you are world champion trials rider, you WILL put a foot down sooner rather than later while fatbiking. They also keep bulky winter pant legs out of chains. I didn't like the extra hassle of putting them on and off though, so now I just wear mukluks, since they essentially have built in gaiters.

Maris L
    BPL Member

@ablaut

I don't like how sweaty gaiters get on the bike! My ankles and feet become frozen easily and sweat doesn't help. I have a couple of XC ski pants/tights I use for biking in the winter and through snow. The panels at the front of the legs have a waterproof laminate and the backs are stretchy and breathable. Stretchy ankle cuff that keeps snow from going up the leg. They do get wet, but I have longer socks under that help keep my legs warm, and the pants dry out more quickly than a humid gaiter. One thing tougher gaiters help with for sure is durability against your chain rings or chain. Thanks for the blog suggestion!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools