Topic

Lumbar/belt pack for overnight runs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion Lumbar/belt pack for overnight runs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Edward Barton
    BPL Member

@porosantihodos

Locale: Boston

Hey all,

I've tried and like the Montane Dragon 20, but don't like the heat of a pack against my back on summer runs.

Does anyone know of belts or lumbar packs that run well with enough room for an overnight, with gear on a serious diet? The Solomon s-lab 3L comes to mind, but seems too small. Perhaps with some webbing added? A quilt is the main issue, volume-wise. Maybe it would work best on nights above 60, with a smaller down jacket in lieu of a quilt, or something else as foolish… Thoughts?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Ed,

To have a lumbar pack large enough for minimalist overnighting you need to also have shoulder straps and D ring attachment points on the front waist belt and on the pack itself.

I have a Ski Patrol 1st aid lumbar pack like this and it carries 20 lbs. easily – not that I usually carry that much.

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

half

Zimmerbuilt

Edward Barton
    BPL Member

@porosantihodos

Locale: Boston

I ended up getting an Osprey Talon 6, which is designed for running and cinches down well to cut down on bouncing. I find it carries better than the large lumbar run pack from Ultimate Directions. There aren't many other applications where you actually need to go so light and compact, making it a fun project. 2 days of food and a 40F or 50F quilt/xlite small/sil tarp/polycryo ground sheet/very minimal rain jacket and cook kit, plus a few odds and ends all fit with a 500ml bottle for water, though 1 day of food is better for how much the pack bounces if you want to run. I usually wrap wind pants and a baselayer top around my waist and go shirtless if there is enough cover.

Something like the Dragon 20 is more realistic for anything but a quick overnight or maybe 2 in pretty ideal, summer conditions with plenty of water, but it can totally be done. It does feel absolutely great to have nothing on your back in the heat.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools