Topic

Better than the Coolpix A (?)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Better than the Coolpix A (?)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I want a new camera. For a variety of reasons (chiefly the frequency with which I seem to drop them in rivers) I do not want to spend more than 400 dollars. I can get a refurbished Nikon Coolpix A for less than that. Any reason I should look at something else?

The Ricoh GR seems perfect, but used prices are higher. Worth the extra cash?

Ideally I'd like a Sigma DP2, but that isn't going to happen.

Some background; all I care about is good IQ for outdoor landscapes. Video is a nice bonus, but all the modes and special features and zoom lenses are things I'll never use.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

For the images that you shoot, do you save them in RAW or JPEG? Some cameras can't do RAW.

Also, do you print images on large paper? If you do, you might want to look for a camera with more megapixels. If you only view them on the computer screen, then this doesn't matter much unless you are shooting at far-off wildlife, in which case you may be cropping the center of the image. Then you may want the extra megapixels.

–B.G.–

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

For something really weather and dunk resistant, consider the Coolpix AW 120. Also cold- (14*F) and shock- (2m drop) resistant.

I'd get one but I still have the AW 110 and am very happy with it. I don't think there are a lot of differences between the 2.

It can produce some really good results with a little post-processing with Photoshop. But then, most images need some post-processing.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

What is a Coolpix A ?

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I'm not familiar with the Nikon Coolpix camera you're looking at so I can't say if the RX100i is better or not.

Best Buy is selling the RX100i new for $500 but there are a number of them available on Amazon used and refurbished for less than $350. I had an opportunity to play with the mark one for about a week and thought that it was pretty wonderful but that I wanted the tilting screen and view finder enough to save my pennies for the iii. I was pretty impressed with the lens and how fast it is so knowing me, I may buy another mark i and just deal with not having those features.

The only issue I had with mine is that I got it for a song from Best Buy as an "undamaged open box item." Unfortunately that wasn't totally true and the lens cover kept sticking in a partially closed position when I turned it on. It was easy enough to gently tap to get it to open right away but I decided to return it while I was still covered.

One feature the mark i doesn't have, and I believe is absent on the ii and iii as well, is an internal Intervalometer for time lapse photography. There are a couple work-around options available if this is important to you. I only spent any real time researching the mark i and couldn't find a firmware upgrade for it that would include this option or the ability to download the play memories ap for it like I can with my A6000.

Short answer. Good IQ for landscape option… the RX100i is the cat's bootie.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

No existential questions Franco.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Sorry I forgot that there is in fact a camera called Coolpix A….

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

You'll probably get similar results with both. I haven't handled the Nikon but I know it has a great reputation. The only thing I'd be wary of is that focus ring on the Nikon. One more thing to get sand and grit in. GR is smaller/more pocketable and looks like a couple oz lighter. I'd probably spring for the Ricoh mostly because I love the Ricoh user interface and build quality and haven't seen the Nikon, but you'll get killer pics with either.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Thanks Brendan. My main concern is having whatifitis after the fact as regards the Ricoh.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Here's an interesting comparison between the GR and Coolpix A

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/ricoh-gr-vs-nikon-coolpix-a-field-report-22665

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Thanks Ian, that's a good one I hadn't yet seen.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I received a PM earlier from someone who would prefer to remain anonymous but she's a physical therapist and her name rhymes with Mennifer Jitol… Apparently the RX100iii does have the ability to download aps, including the Timelapse ap.

Not an APS C sensor but still a fine camera.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I am really, really happy with my RX100iii. I still want an APS-C camera at some point to do more with my 3 yo niece (she's super fun to take pictures of), but for a backpacking camera it just blows me away.

Nathan Wernette
    Spectator

@werne1nm

Locale: Michigan

Yea I've been really tempted by the rx100. I'll probably pick up v1 or v2 for backpacking. I love my a7 but am unsure I want to lug that around.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Nathan, i didn't have v1 for long but I'd opt for v2 or v3. V1 lacks a moveable screen which I find really useful for taking pictures of stuff low to the ground or above my head.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

Note that the new iii is 24mm, the older ones only 28mm, which to me is a massive difference. For those who don't insist on the largest sensor, the Canon S110 is on sale now for $180. It is smaller and lighter, shoots RAW, and has a great lens. If most shooting is daylight, shooting RAW and using photoshop, the sensor size difference is not so apparent. Note also that both these have moving lens that can easily get bashed in or clogged with dirt.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Found a GR on sale yesterday and couldn't help myself. It should arrive next week and I'll have a little while to get used to it before heading to New Zealand next month.

My wife has an RX100i and while it's better than my S90, the difference was somewhat underwhelming. Hopefully the Ricoh is a good step above either.

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

Locale: Morrison, CO

The image quality of my Ricoh GR is MUCH better than my old RX100i that broke. I love my ricoh. Sometimes I wish I had a zoom, but the prime lens is so crisp that I forget I need it unless I'm trying for a very specific effect.

In comparison to the coolpix A, the ricoh is a bit more customizable with buttons and functions, and has a better grip. The ricoh isn't discontinued either like the coolpix a, so there may be a few more firmware updates in the future.

Either way, the coolpix a and the ricoh gr are the best pocketable cameras current made, IMO.
    100x better than something decent like the Canon S110, and 1000x better than regular point and shoots like the aw110 mentioned above.

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

Also, carry your camera on your shoulder with a lowepro dashpoint case so you don't drop it in the river. :-)

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

How is the Ricoh GR size wise as a pocketable camera?

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

Its very pocketable if you don't care much about a filter. However if you want a filter, the tube attachment makes it too big to be pocketed. However the tube seals up the lens a bit more to keep it clean, so i always have the filter tube on the camera with a polarizer and i just use my dashpoint 20 case. Its easy to pop off the filter tube if you don't want it on (low light, etc).

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

As it happens I was able to buy a Ricoh GR with a coupon back in December. It wasn't quite 400 bucks, but it was close so I went for it. I've been using two different S90s exclusively since 2009, and felt like I had gotten pretty close to that cameras limits. Having wanted a little more for a while, a trip to New Zealand in January and a kid coming this summer seemed like a good excuse to buy something.

I like taking pictures, but don't put a ton of time and effort into it. I tend to run and gun throughout the day and rarely stop for more than a minute to shoot.

Overall I like the GR. The controls are very well thought out. I can do pretty much any mode changes I want with gloves on, which hasn't been the case since I gave up my FM2n. The camera powers up super fast for a digital, and the burst mode works very well. The routine useability of the GR is a massive improvement over the S90.

I find the autofocus on the GR underwhelming. Detailed reading of the manual reveals what the various settings do, and with practice I've been able to mostly get it to do what I want, but I'd still characterize the close focus/macro ability as just plain poor. This remains a big disappointment given the cost.

Image quality is better than the S90, and I'd spitball it as on par or better than my wife's RX100 mark1. It prints tack sharp. I still lust after a DP2M, but it's probable that my skill and lack of dedication are holding the GR back. Video quality and sound are also very good.

I haven't had durability issues with the plastic body, but I do worry about it. The light weight is nice, but if given a vote I'd pick a metal body instead. I also dislike the large hollow around the lens when it's open and deployed. It functions as a huge catch for rain drops and snowflakes and I worry about the longterm impact on the cameras life.

Overall I'm happy with the GR. It's far from perfect but has been a worthy investment.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools