Topic

Joining Tyvek to foam

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Joining Tyvek to foam

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Locale: US East Coast

I am working on a foam project lightly inspired by the comical musings of Daryl and Justin. Oh … you mean they weren't trying to be funny?????

I have reached an impasse and am hoping the wealth of knowledge in this forum can assist.

I am woking with SS Tyvek, closed-cell EVA foam and lightweight flexible open-cell Polyurethane foam. I need to join said components to one another. I do not need the surfaces laminated to one another, but rather joined at a series of seam-lines

Is there a tape, glue, adhesive or other manner that would work on all three materials? I would prefer NOT to sew, because I intend to abuse the final product and fear the stitching would just tear at the perforation line with these particular materials.

Thanks in advance.

(PS: Perhaps to encourage active response I should I mention I am building a giant full tanged foam knife because how does one survive in the wilderness without a giant foam knife? What if all you other knives get stolen or fall in a river?)

(PPS: Not actually building a giant foam knife. Please don't move me to chaff or ban me from the site.) :)

Frank T

@random_walk

Locale: San Diego

Next to last post in this thread has some suggestions for adhesives to use with the Tyvek, but I don't know about suitability for the foams you're looking at.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=17506

It's a start, I guess.

edit: What will you call your foam knife? A Knerf?

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I tried Tyvek tape and strap tape on closed cell foam and Tyvek. Both worked. Don't know the strength of the bond or durability.

I didn't have any open cell foam to experiment with.

x

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

Works on closed cell foam and fabric. Don't know about Tyvek.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I've used Tyvek tape on.. well.. tyvek, and also on EVA foam with good results. I have not tried it with PU foam of any kind though.

So, after you build your "Knerf", you can run up to the people on the trail and loudly exclaim/query "Cake or Knerf, Cake or Knerf?" In no time short, you will build up a fearsome trail reputation, and eventually you may want to up the ante by dressing up as a Pirate and doing same.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

You could look on sailrite.com. If I remember correctly they have foam bonding agents as well as others. Worth a quick look.

jimmyb

Clifford Deakyne
    BPL Member

@cliffdeakyne

Locale: Colorado Rockies foot hills

You might want to look at 3M spray adhesive HS 90. Follow the directions on the can. Basically you spray both surfaces and let dry then press together. It works well with Tyvek(r) and a number of other materials but I don't have experience with foam. However, since it has very high tack so it should stick fine, it is just the strength I am not sure about.

Cliff

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Locale: US East Coast

Thanks for the direction and the idears.

To the shed for some experimentation!!! (Hopefully I won't glue myself to anything.)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools