Topic

Where to buy downhill ski boots in PDX

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Other Activities Where to buy downhill ski boots in PDX

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

I used to downhill ski a lot, mainly from age 6-18. I'm an expert skier who hasn't really skied in two decades.

Dad's paying for boots and a trip w/him this winter.

Where to get them in Portland?

What to look for? I'm vigilant about being female and not having skied much recently and being sold a boot that isn't gonna do it for me. (but thank goodness I've outgrown those awful 1980s rear-entry boots!)

So what's a good place to go shopping in Portland. Any thoughts on what to consider? The few times I've rented equipment I felt like I would have done better in a stiffer boot.

(next question: would any store put new binding on my old skis? Do skis age? I don't like the curvy ones.)

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Most of them are over by now but google around to see if there are any ski swaps coming up. I was able to outfit my two monkeys with a pair of snowboard boots, ski boots, ski poles, an awesome ski jacket, and snowboard bindings for less than what I would have paid for a single pair of ski boots. There were both new and used options.

Also, you may want to reach out to the local ski club and see what they suggest. Iā€™m not familiar with the Portland market.

As far as new bindings on old skis go, I don't see why not. I have my bindings tested every year and have had to replace them over the years.

Don't knock the shape skis. I found out that it really pays to take a lesson if you've been out of the game for a while. The technology has changed and so has the technique.

I took a lesson to clean up my form and the instructor noted by watching pole plants and turns "You're an old-school skier! We don't ski like that anymore!" "Hips to the tips" and some work on how I was moving my knees and I'm now working with my shaped skis instead of against them. I hope that with a little hard work and some time on the slopes, someday I'll earn the title of Mediocre Skier. Alas I still suck.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I board (although I rarely seem to get up to Hood more than 1-2 times per year, if that. Sigh) so I can't help except to agree with Ian to get new skis. The technology is drastically different and every skier I know seems to really appreciate the newer skis.

As far as buying, you can support one of the stores that also has the best selection of UL stuff: Next Adventure & Mountain Shop both sell skis. Next Adventure probably has the larger selection. Also, REI is a good place to buy things like skis and boots with their decent return policy.

Good luck!

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

Katherine:

It is hard to go wrong with REI. The staff will determine the proper size (probably not what you have rented) and overall fit/shape for your foot. They will probably be able to present you with 2-3 options, and you can begin to learn what works for you. Any decent ski shop should be able to shell fit a boot for you and provide some options. Be prepared to pay $350-400 and up for medium to stiffer flexing boots – previous years' models can be found for substantially less.

As for bindings, unless your current ski has more than 3 sets of drill holes in it or is an integrated ski with a built-in binding, you should be able to replace the binding. But why not treat yourself to a set of modern skis, or least demo some? Skis have really changed (so have boots) and are much more user-friendly than skis even 5 years ago.

Yes, skiing is a "first world" sport and costs money, but once you know what you're looking for there are great deals to be had. And you are wise to look at boots first – that is the foundation.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Thanks all.

I'm also wondering about options in Government Camp that might give me the option to demo boots.

For the upcoming trip I'll be renting skis, so I'll be forced to use shaped one. Maybe I'll like them better if I have boots that perform well this time. Probably a good idea to take a lesson.

I can't imagine how the heck you'd hold an edge on the stealth ice in Vermont without a straight edge. But I'm never skiing on the East Coast again, so that's moot.

Oh, and then everyone wears a helmet now too, right? Why do I feel like some grizzled old biker balking at that?

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"Oh, and then everyone wears a helmet now too, right? Why do I feel like some grizzled old biker balking at that?"

I bought one about the time Sonny Bono died. They're actually quite comfy and I've come to appreciate how warm my ears are with one on.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

I know. I'm usually a safety fiend. I'm among the 10%, or whatever, of parents who install the child safety car seats correctly!

I'll come around.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools