Topic

American Chestnut Breakthrough

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Other Activities American Chestnut Breakthrough

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Lane
    BPL Member

@kevinlane

About 100 years ago the American chestnut was the predominant tree species in eastern America. These trees were decimated by an invasive pest, leaving only a scattered population and an even smaller group dropping seed. Now, the most prestigious SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry has made a breakthrough that can return this magnificent species to our native woodlands.

Much of the funding for the reintroduction efforts is being sought through grass routes contributions. The project has more than met its goal but additional funds can undoubtedly be used to enhance this effort. You can find various articles on this breakthrough via a search. You can go directly to the College of ES&F site through this link.

http://www.esf.edu/communications/view.asp?newsID=3062

Please consider helping out this incredible progress by contributing and also passing word of this achievement around. I have no affiliation with this project or the funds that it generates or receives, but I sure hope to be able to buy some of the trees.

Kevin (Paddy)

Dean L
    Spectator

@aldoleopold

Locale: Great Lakes

Great to see the efforts being put into the return of chestnuts. My grandfather(born 1887) a cabinetmaker, loved working with this wood. He was also fond of elm, another decimated species.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools