Topic

Lentil Burritos

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

This is a recipe I did today for lunch….

Burritos with lentils? Why not! Think filling, full of protein and tasty! And yes, this is another recipe featuring Harmony House Foods dried items. I am fully in love with their products at this point ;-)

Lentil Burritos:

In the first freezer bag put:
    1 cup instant rice

In the second freezer bag put:
    1/2 cup dried lentils
    2 Tbsp dried bell peppers
    1 Tbsp dried onions
    1 heaping Tbsp dried salsa

Also take:
    2-4 tortillas (depending on size)
    1 ounce cheddar cheese, chopped or grated.

Add 1 cup boiling water to the rice bag, stir and seal. Add 1 cup of boiling water to the lentils, stir well. Put both bags into a cozy for 10 minutes.

Make burritos with the fillings, top with cheese and roll up. Also works well as a "burrito bowl".

Serves 2, this recipe makes a lot.

Notes: Drying salsa is very easy to do. If you don't have a dehydrator, you can use 3 or 4 packets of salsa instead, McDonald's is a good source of them.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

P. P.

@toesnorth

Locale: PNW

for another great recipe. When can we expect another cookbook?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I am working on it…most of the manuscript is done. I just got distracted by producing cozies. They kind of took over my life. We know we need to get it done. Winter seems to be a good time for me to work on books!

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

Sabar,

How do you dry salsa? I've got a dehydrator and need to know the time and temp.

Thanks

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I take a 16 ounce jar and spread it on a lined tray (I use parchment paper). Spread it evenly and dry at 135*. Expect at least 4 hours if not as long as 8 or more. Basically it depends on how chunky or watery it is, plus humidity in your area.
    It is dry when it has no wet or sticky spots on it. What I do when it is a solid but still tacky wet is pop it off the paper and flip it. That speeds up the drying.

When it is dry I often stick it in the freezer, then run it through my blender to powder for near instant rehydration :-)

Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

wow that looks amaaaaazing. Is there a way to dehydrate sour cream? I can't live without it!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

There are a couple places like Walton Feed that sell sour cream powder :-) It comes back pretty decent. They freeze dry it.

I have taken small bags of sour cream for overnighters in cooler weather. I just take a cooler for the drive, then carry it in, insulated. Works pretty good (but I'd only do this with real sour cream like Daisy that has nothing added to it!).
    Btw, while it isn't the same, if doing stuff like stroganoff you can use cream cheese instead of sour cream.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools