Topic

Canon G9

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Canon G9

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Miguel Marcos

@miguelmarcos

Locale: Middle Iberia

The Canon G9 was recently released. Some interesting tidbits:

– RAW has been reinstated
    – 12mp, thought the extra megapixels are used for resolution but for noise reduction in RAW
    – face detection
    – focus confirm momentarily enlarges the focus area for confirmation
    – audio recording

It retains the optical viewfinder (hooray!) though reviewers say the lens barrel intrudes at wide angle. It also retains the ISO dial, nice retro feature. I'm enticed but I'm waiting until the price comes down. It appears to be a nice camera to introduce oneself to the world of RAW.

Kenneth Reppart
    BPL Member

@kreppart

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I recently took our G9 into the Olympic National Park for a couple of days easy backpacking. It's super light compared to my D70 but I'm sure there are lighter cameras out there. Overall I am pleased & would take this again if photography isn't one of my main goals. I would recommend applying a screen protector before you leave, that big screen would be too easy to scratch.

Then again if I can save weight elsewhere in my pack (and I can!) I'll be tempted to haul the D70, there's no substitute for an SLR sometimes.

Some sample photos here:
    http://flickr.com/photos/kreppart/sets/72157602177218661/

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Ken –

Your images turned out very crisp and bold. You were definitely able to capture the intense variations of green and gray of the lush Olympics. The photo stream was like reading a sentence with the photo of Seattle acting as a very concise and unavoidable period at the end.

– Sam

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Ken,

Looks like a was a great fall trip–but what was that bright thing in the sky?

Couple of camera questions: Does Canon make a WA converter for the G9? (I don't see one listed in the Canon USA website.) Can you adjust (reduce) the G9's contrast setting?

Thanks!

Miguel Marcos

@miguelmarcos

Ken, great photo set. Couple of questions on how you use the G9. Did you take JPEG, JPEG+RAW, RAW? Given the G9 is a pocket camera, how would you rate image quality?

I'm still far away from the SLR world, for cash reasons. I have Lumix FZ7 which is SLR-ish, but the images are too noisy and my model doesn't do RAW. So… the G9 looks enticing at my acquisition level.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Miguel,

Not Ken, but his exif data indicate the shots are jpgs. Can't guess whether he might have used jpg+raw mode, but the G9 is a rare compact digicam that offers the option.

Don't know about Iberian pricing :-) but in the States you can get an Olympus E410 with kit lens for only $130 more than the G9. Close enough to make an slr a reasonable option.

Miguel Marcos

@miguelmarcos

Hi, Rick. Right now I'm hesitant to invest in a DSLR and I need a replacement take-anywhere camera for my old Canon Ixus. When I do go for a DSLR, I'd think I would go Canon (not that I think Olympus is bad, I grew up wanting an OM-1, never satisfied that wish), something like a Canon Digital Rebel XTi but I'd think about it a great deal.

Another thing I find attractive about the G9 is that it's a nicer street camera (quieter, smaller) than a DSLR.

For me the fact that it does RAW is a nice add-on since it will allow me to dip my toes in that world.

Miguel Marcos

@miguelmarcos

Well, Rick, I capitulated and went the DSLR route! After debating (myself) and mulling over which model I am expecting a Canon 400D (and a few accessories) sometime soon. I had also considered the Nikon D40 and D40x. It did hit the pocket but I figure I'll be using and enjoying it for a nice long time.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools