Topic

I need help with a bag…WM Highlite or BA Zirkel?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) I need help with a bag…WM Highlite or BA Zirkel?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Matt Cason

@xxfwmxx

I am in desperate need of a new sleeping bag and cannot decide what would be best to buy. I have narrowed down the options betweek the Western Mountaineering Highlite or the Big Agnes Zirkel. I need something in the 20-30 degree range for 3 season camping. I need something lite and very compressable. Thanks in advance for all you help.

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

Matt,

You can read about 7 lightweight bags including the Nunatak Arc Ghost, Western Mountaineering Highlite, Sierra Designs Wicked Light, Montbell #7, Marmot Pounder, Mountain Hardware Phantom 45D, and the FF Vireo in the Rock and Ice Article:

http://tinyurl.com/bwsh4

Rich

David Ure

@familyguy

I took RIchard’s advice, read the article, and then purchased the MH Phantom 45. I was a little leary on the manufacturer’s ‘cold’ rating, but the article suggested that the bag was probably good down to about 35 degrees. I can tell you that my field experience concurs with this assessment.

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

I own the Phantom 45, and I’m pretty confident I probably stretch it down to 35 with a good set of 3-season clothing. I’m not so thrilled with the bag’s fabric, but the hood is wonderfully cut and filled. Overall, a nice choice.
    -Mark

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

Matt,

I had gone with the Feathered Friends (FF) Vireo, FF Hyperion Jacket, and FF Volant Hood. Mine was ordered almost a year ago and prior to the Rock and Ice article. All 3 of my components were ordered with the 800+ down upgrade. The Vireo was ordered in 62″ (I am only 5′ 6″ with 2 oz of 800+ down overfill).

Loft of my FF Vireo with the 800+ down upgrade (from 750+ down and used in the article- standard) yields between 4″ and about 7″. The standard FF Vireo loft ranges from 3″ to 5″.

My Vireo should easily cover the 20 to 30 degrees F and colder. With enough cold weather gear and the FF Volant Hood, I believe my bag can get down to close to 0 degrees F. I believe that with a nominal amount of clothing and the standard FF Vireo you can be warm into the 20s F.

Brian Griffith ordered one of the Vireos as well and he can make more comment based on his experience.

Rich

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools