Topic

Good mountains around New York State?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism Good mountains around New York State?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jon K
    Spectator

@ncsuactor84bpl

Locale: New York City

I'd like to start getting into mountaineering. I'd like to do something a little more advanced than a day trip (like something where I actually have to set up camp), but I need a good newbie mountains that won't kill me on my first expedition.

I live in New York, and does anyone have a recommendation for a good challenge for a newbie mountaineer?

Scott Ireland
    BPL Member

@winterwarlock

Locale: Western NY

While they aren't (necessarily) multi-day expeditions, the Adirondack High Peaks offer a significant winter challenge to anyone, and I know of a few folks who've used to tune up for Himilayan expeditions. Summitting Marcy or Algonquin in winter can be quite a challenge – I've been turned back in whiteout conditions on the latter.

Check out this forum that is focused on climbing the 46 highest peaks in the ADKs, which are now focused on doing so in winter conditions.

http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/

Scott Ireland
    BPL Member

@winterwarlock

Locale: Western NY
    Doug Wolfe
    BPL Member

@wolfie2nd

I'd say the Catskills if your just getting into the winter gig..
    90% of the time you'll need both pons and snow shoes.
    Kinda remote but no where's near as remote as the daks.
    Just my 2c

Kyrsten F
    BPL Member

@hikerboxowl

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools