Topic

go light but bring O2; permanent damage from altitude

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism go light but bring O2; permanent damage from altitude

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

This long term study reported in Scientific American shows strong evidence of permanent brain damage from ascending above 4,000m.

http://blog.sciam.com/index.php?title=into_thin_air_altitude_s_toll_on_the_bra&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1&ref=rss

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

http://download.journals.elsevierhealth.com/pdfs/journals/0002-9343/PIIS0002934305006741.pdf

whole article of study they take their data from.

Comments: Their data seems odd. In 12 experienced climbers their before and after MRI's were not different. How can they then claim that altitude caused the abnormalities?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Interesting article, Brett. Thanks for posting it, although about 30 years too late for me. That said, I find myself wondering where the boundary lies between brain damage that truly compromises an individual's cognitive and other brain driven functions, and brain damage that is detectable with advanced imaging but not manifested in decreased function. I say that because I, and a fair number of people I know personally, have spent considerable time above 4000 meters, both climbing(though not at an elite level) and backpacking. None of us have so far suffered any detectable loss of function other than the judgment required to stop going up high. I guess we all sort of have the attitude that nobody gets out of here alive anyway so…..

Jeremy Cleaveland
    BPL Member

@jeremy11

Locale: Exploring San Juan talus

I'm screwed… I'm living at 9,200 feet in the San Juans and going over 13,000 feet regularly guiding backpacking and peak ascents and doing personal climbing and hiking.
    I've always claimed that us mountain folks only keep going cause we have selective memories… now I can blame the altitude!

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Like the previous posters I also have not noticed any change in my own mental capabilities, nor my fellow amateur mountaineers. I am reminded of the saying: "Its difficult to comprehend how insane some people can be.. especially when you are insane." HAHAHAHA.. ;)
    insanity

Anonymous
    Inactive

I've been thinking about this one a little more and just now it hit me right between the eyes; What about the Sherpas, Tibetans, or the Aymara and Quechua speakers of the Andes? Those groups seem to be doing just fine, especially the Sherpas who didn't suffer colonial oppression. I've seen the Sherpas up close and from my point of view, they're a real together bunch, very impressive indeed. Wouldn't it be interesting if the authors of the seminal report for this thread did another study, this time of the above mentioned groups. I, for one, would be most interested in the results.

Al Shaver
    BPL Member

@al_t-tude

Locale: High Sierra and CA Central Coast

Argument For:
    Me – I've been over 6k Meters a few times and I am often confused over which one is Obama and which is Osama (like Letterman I also tend to confuse Uma and Oprah).

Argument Against:
    Reinhold Messner

Anonymous
    Inactive

Obama's the one with the beard, Al.
    Another Confused 6K'er

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

Eyem knot sur wot prblms we r takkn abot, eye seam fin.
    Large dooses uv cafiend help bluree vishun n waits tyed two my hanz the innvolentarry tremurs.
    Eye odored sum stuf on thee enternet fur my ewrecktill disfunshun that mite help.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools