An ongoing series over at Powder Magazine which is suggested reading for anyone who gets out in the mountains in winter.
Topic
Avalanches: The Human Factor
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
Excellent article. Thanks for pointing it out!
Similar human factors emerge in boating and small-airplane accidents.
It has been researched in a few different settings (in and out of avy situations) and it appears that travel parties with one or more women tend to make far better (more prudent) decisions that all male parties.
It seems that men take the "If you'll risk I'll risk it." attitude when there is no moderating female voice present.
REMEMBER this little story. It could save your life – and others in your group.
i.e. In an all male group "Get in touch with your feminine side".
BTW, as a ski patroller I'd be remiss if I did not yet again strongly suggest you take an Avalanche 1 course before venturing into avy country. AND get a snow study kit, beacon, avy shovel, probe and Avalung. Then practice often and every year.
Become a member to post in the forums.

