Topic

Aborted overnight on SHT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Aborted overnight on SHT

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Stuart Burke

@burkest

Locale: Collegiate Peaks Wilderness

I had intended to go for a out and back overnighter today but I decided to come back early because of a recuring knee injury. Even through the hike was cut short I had a great time because the weather was perfect and the colors were great.

I started my hike at penn blvd in silver bay and hiked to Mt. Trudee before I turned around.

Here are a few pics from today

Looking west over bean lake

bean lake overlook

Looking north over bear lake

bear lake

Looking northeast from the summit of Mt. Trudee

mt. trudee

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Stuart –

I never tire of seeing pictures of Bean and Bear Lakes. In my two years living in Duluth I've been up the shore countless times (and numerous before that) and even though I've walked every inch of the SHT there is still a mysticism and wildness about it.

– Sam

Stephen Boyd

@sim

Locale: Minnesowtah

We're heading up to GM this weekend. Sounds like we picked a crappy weekend….weather wise….but we're committed.

Last trip up we did a day-hike up to Bean and Bear lakes from Silver Bay and made a loop out of it on the side lolly-pop trail. What a beautiful part of the SHT.

This weekend he're hoping it's not too sloppy so we can try another day-hike. This time from Tettegouche up to Mt. Trudee and them some stuff up closer to GM.

Here is a photo from last year…Labor Day weekend.

Bean or Bear Lake...don't recall which...SHT....Labor Day 2006

Any suggestions of favorite sections?

Steve

Stuart Burke

@burkest

Locale: Collegiate Peaks Wilderness

If you are going to be in grand marais I would hike the devil track river segment if you have not already done it. The river is really pretty and goes through a 80 foot deep canyon in some places. The cascade river loop would also be a good day hike.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

In terms of the best day hike in close proximity to Grand Marais I'm in agreement with Stuart and also suggest the Devil Track river.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Ditto the Devil's Track Rvr and Cascade Rvr loop suggestions. Also the Lutsen to Caribou Trail segment, although that's 20 miles west of G.M. Use the Superior Shuttle to stage your car at the end.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Jim Colten: Also the Lutsen to Caribou Trail segment

My girlfriend, her parents and I did a very short overnight trip from Lutsen in May. Here's some photos if anyone is interested.

http://picasaweb.google.com/sam.haraldson/UltralightBackpackingLakeAgnes

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Nice pics Sam. I've never hiked the trail in the spring, I really need to try that. I'll be somewhere on the SHT with our scouts the 3rd weekend of this month, I'm REALLY hoping to steer them into choosing the Lutsen-Cascade stretch.

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

Sam, how do you like the TG Vertex? I really like the design but it looked like overkill for a one person.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Thanks for the comments, Jim. I'm so much a fan of the SHT that hiking just about anywhere along it usually makes me happy. Taking the scouts out in late October should be cool – – in more ways than one. Ha.

Steve – I only bring the Vertex out when there's going to be two of us. I like the roominess of it in terms of floor space for bodies and gear. Having the pole in the center of the tent does give issue if you want to cuddle with the other person in the tent however. If I was to bring up any complaint with the Vertex it would be a similar complaint to many single-wall structures, and that is condensation. The design of the version I have doesn't have a cap over the top hole so when it's raining you either have to zip the top shut and have no top-ventilation or leave it open and have rain coming in. TIGoat has alleviated this in their new designs I believe.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Taking the scouts out in late October should be cool – – in more ways than one. Ha.

The date is chosen due to them having a 3 day weekend from school, it's too far for us to want to travel for a normal weekend. The weather varies, we've had some warm trips, one with 40*F fog the entire weekend , one with continuous thunder lightning storms at night, snow, 35*F rain/snow mix (that's the toughest), mainly just cool/cloudy but as a good friend is fond of saying, whatever the weather is, it is always perfect!.

Matt Brodhead

@mattbrodhead

Locale: Michigan

Oh how I long for the Mid-West… Fall in that area is probably the best time of year… *sigh*

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Matt –

It has been gorgeous up here the past weeks. I've done a couple hikes and the trees along Lake Superior are luscious with color. The maples two weeks ago were red as apples and last weekend the aspens and birch were afire with a yellow glow.

– Sam

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools