Topic

What do you all put into your hipbelt pockets?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What do you all put into your hipbelt pockets?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

So not all bags have hipbelt pockets, but some people swear by their convenience. I can see this, but I was curious as to what kinds of things you all put into your hipbelt pockets. If your pack doesn't have a lid on it than I can understand, but what about those who have a pack with a lid and still use hipbelt pockets? Anything in there besides a camera and a snackbar?

Brian Markey
    BPL Member

@bmlaw

Locale: Northeast

I always keep my camera in my left hipbelt pocket and the snacks for the day along with a small knife in the right one. I like the convenience of having these things close by.

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

I keep my camera and GorillaPod in one and my snacks and TP in the other. On the trail you know which one I need to have handy the most.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

None of my backpacking packs have the pockets. My camera is pretty small and has it's own case that I hang off of my sternum strap (easier to get to!). My daypack has a pocket, I use it for my knife and other small items. My daypack has an area on the other side for my camera case to attach to so I use that as well.

My issue is with black pockets! Why do many companies make them in black? Snack foods get melted fast!

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Andrew,
    Life was tough before HBP’s. Performing contortionist maneuvers to reach your lid pocket was common, the odd dislocated shoulder from trying to reach you side zip pocket, and the famous chase your tail while accessing the “front” (or is the back?) pocket…all while wearing your pack…there is no need for this anymore. The HBP’s have solved the problem.
    Really though, as my kit was getting smaller/lighter, I saw no need to stop n the trail to access common items when they could all fit in my HBP. When you think of how small the items are or could be – ie. E-lite, LM micra, folded map, camera, energy bars, whistle, compass…they can all fit. I have my pack (‘07 SMD Essence) set up so that my water bladder is in the lid, camp items in the main compartment, and any small items required frequently (except for kitchen and food) are in my hip belt pockets.
    Some people fill their cargo pants with stuff, but I didn’t like that too much. I opted for a pant with only the 2 standard pockets…therefore I require the HBP.
    My main compartment only opens during meals and arriving at camp. I found that as I tried to cover more ground during the day, the convenience was quite nice to have.
    Don’t even get me started on Panel Loading – that’s equally as important…for me.
    HTH

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

windshirt, food and camera

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

Haha Steve…that made me laugh!

And yes, the panel loading is nice. I have a Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian and I love the panel access. I don't really use the lid, I just wanted the panel access. And yeah yeah, I know it's 3lbs, but it suits me fine! *Swings out my flaming stick against the horde of SULers and ULers* :)

I guess I can see more clearly how the hipbelt pockets help and also how they aren't necessary.

Good point about the color of the pockets Sarah!

Pamela Wyant

@riverrunner

I put my bandana and buff (if not wearing it) in my hipbelt pocket, as well as lip balm (seasonally) and sometimes the camera and snacks. A lot of times I prefer my camera in my cargo pants pocket since I still find it easier to access, and I don't have to worry about banging it on a rock if I set my pack down wrong.

Stuart Burke

@burkest

Locale: Collegiate Peaks Wilderness

I put food in my left pocket and chapstick, water treatment kit, camera, alcohol hand gel, and a balm jar of hydropel in the right pocket.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Right = camera and spare batteries
    Left = "lotions" (sunscreen, DEET, Purell, lip balm)

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

Sunglasses when not on my face. Gorp in double ziplock (my theory is this reduces food odor on my pack, particularly after the ziplock starts to wear after a few days); maybe a trailbar too. Thin mitten shells if I might need 'em but am not currently wearing them. Add thin glove liners if it's really cold. I have carried a windshirt there but usually not — have to take the pack off anyway to put that on.

Typically some mix of the above in one largish aftermarket HBP.

Camera goes in its own case on pack strap, mini-monocular the same, and I can reach around to pull out my poncho from a side mesh pouch on the pack itself.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

In my ULA P-2, I put:

-camera
    -a power bar or two
    -Chapstick
    -Lens cloth (for camera and glasses)
    -Bandana to protect camera a little be a quick hand towel
    -Small notepad and space pen
    -TP and titanium trowel
    -Knife (if I'm carrying a folding one or my Micra)
    -Sometimes a small tube of sunscreen
    -Sometimes a compass

Hmmm…I THINK that's it…

P. P.

@toesnorth

Locale: PNW

Knife, whistle, map and compass on one side, contact rewetting drops, chapstick, sunblock, and FUD on the other. My camera has its own spot on my pack belt.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I keep only a small Silva compass in my tiny REI UL 60 HBP.

BUT I have my Dana Designs Wet Rib pouch in front. It attaches to the shoulder lower adjustment straps, is large and has an outside carrier for my bike bottle, where I have an electrolyte drink.
    In the Wet Rib I carry a map, sunscreen, snacks and spare pouch of Cytomax electrolyte powder. Sometimes I carry a tiny radio & ear buds.

Eric

Kevin Lutz

@eazye

I love the pockets in my Catalyst. I carry a small camera, a couple of snickers marathon bars, and a compass. I had a wet rib years ago and switched to a golite pouch that hung from the sternum strap because it didn't move around so much and wasn't so big. Hipbelt pockets are where it's at though, at least for now.

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

I don't carry much in the pockets but it's always stuff that gets used:
    -camera
    -bar or nuts or trail mix
    -map and maybe a compass
    -notepad and pencil
    -sunscreen
    -small bottle of hand sanitizer

The biggest advantage to me is having a camera where I can easily access it. I take far fewer pictures when I have my camera in pocket on the back of the pack or even in a pants pocket. I actually use those things in my hipbelt pockets when it's convenient rather than waiting for a break.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

What's a hipbelt?

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Larry,
    It's the part of your backpack that wraps around your hips. Some have pockets built into them to carry gear.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I think Larry is telling us that his packs are so insanely light and hip that they don't have no stinkin' hipbelts… :)

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Doh! I totally missed it! Should have known better. That's why they need EMOTICONS on this forum!

P. P.

@toesnorth

Locale: PNW

I was just thinking that………..
    :-D

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

In my OR Gear Waterproof hipbelt pocket that I adapted, I put:
    – trail journal and fisher space pen
    – chapstick
    – tiny sunscreen spray bottle
    – tiny titanium dioxide sunscreen tube for nose, ears and chin
    – tissue packet
    – tiny bug spray bottle (when in season)
    – micropur tabs

I carry my casio z70 in a special pouch on my sternum strap and my glasses in a beretta protective case there as well (along with my garmin gps if I am carrying a gps).
    things like a cleaning cloth for my glasses and the day's map go in my pockets where I hardly notice them.

Heather Pisani-Kristl

@p-k

Locale: San Diego

I have only one very wee change-purse-sized pocket on my Deuter; not sure what they were thinking when they designed that. It fits a bottle of Purell, a compass, and a few pieces of Cow Tales candy (in case I start bonking). However, I recently removed the unnecessary lid from my pack and am planning to add larger hipbelt pockets per this BPL thread: http://tinyurl.com/3bsogf.
    Thanks, Nathan!

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

I don't use hip belts… but I ALWAYS carry a fanny pack. My fanny pack has a small first aid kit, a few survival essentials (water treatment, fire starter, signal mirror, headlamp, etc.) and a camera (for convenience). Snacks go in my pockets (not enough room in the fanny pack). Light, knife, and whistle go on a lanyard that I keep tucked into my shirt (so it can't snag on anything). The theory for me is… keep your survival essentials on your person… not in your backpack. You could lose your pack in a fall… or you could be walking around somewhere near camp without your pack… or whatever. When backpacking… I never go anywhere without my fanny pack.

So I'd say… hip belt pockets on your pack should only be for non-essentials… camera… snacks… etc. Which is pretty much what everyone here said anyway :) But as an aside… I'd add… keep your first aid, etc. on your person at all times… in pockets or a fanny pack…. NOT in hip belt pockets.

Stevan Beer

@papabeer

Locale: Gunnison Valley

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Hip_Belt_Pocket.html

I just got two of these in size medium and they are sweet. Simple, durable, and not too pricey. The attachment system consists of two vertical stretchy webbing pieces and a small velcro tab. The velcro is for a Gossamer pack and the strech webbing can slide onto any hipbelt (maybe not on a monster pack big 'ol hipbelt though). I hacked that attachment stuff off to sew them directly on my Jam2 hipbelt. Like a lot of the folks posting in this tread, I think the functionality and efficiency of these add-ons justify their weight. I use my camera a lot more too!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools