Topic

Alpha thoughts (Rab Strata Hoody)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Alpha thoughts (Rab Strata Hoody)

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Hanz B
    BPL Member

@tundra-thrasher-ouch-man-2

Resurrection question for folks on this post. I recently purchased the 6.3 oz Adidas Agravic Alpha Shield Hoodie on massdrop – as I was interested in a lighter weight vapor mover to use over warmer base layers like cap 3 / thermal in the shoulder season. The way I see this working is that it would replacement the wind jacket and the 100wt fleece in 35-55 degree hikes (saving around 2 ounces, will reducing the modularity). My last alpine hike i noticed that I was still a little chilly in just the baselayer + wind jacket but when I switched to the fleece the wind was too cold. All three were too hot. Call me fickle – but maybe this is one possible solution to that range? Idk. I dont know pertex air material personally either. Anyone else looking at this jacket and have some thoughts?

Hanz

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

hanz try putting the fleece on the OUTSIDE of the windshirt …

yes you will loose some warmth due to the wind … so itll be cooler than on the inside

also zippers are the key … use the zippers aggresively to vent

;)

Hanz B
    BPL Member

Reverse!? Oh that’s really interesting. Thanks I’ll try that as well.

Armand C
    BPL Member

@vb242

I never got taking breathable active style insulation and wrapping it in less breathable jacket liners. Especially of the Pertex variety.

Patagonia got it right with Nano-Air. Black Diamond’s First Light with a Schoeller shell also works really well.

Hanz B
    BPL Member

the massdrop description noted “pertex air” -anyone know what type of pertex they are referring too?  More like a nano air or more like pertex shield? Idk.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Hanz B
    BPL Member

I saw that, thanks for reminding me. I contacted addidas to check and they replied back to me that they can only comment on purchased made through addidas and not third parties. Sometimes when things are made for massdrop (since it’s direct from manufacturing mass orders) they can tweak the item for weight, as they’ve done previously with certain camping items. I guess that’s why I asked and wasn’t totally sure it was just a typo. Unlike the addidas website, massdrop’s description includes “pertex quantum air”:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/adidas-agravic-alpha-shield-hoodie

I also think this is just quantum, as pertex’s website only describes pertex and pertex GL.

http://www.pertex.com/products/

But then there is this one and only source on a potential new material “quantum air” and “quantum pro”. Its weakly cited – and literally a fashion blogger –  but she describes in December 2016 a new sub division of quantum into “Pro” and “Air,” the later being a highly air perm abrasion resistant nano weave of nylon blah blah blah. Anyway, here it is:

http://passionandfashion.com/2016/12/12/pertex-introduces-new-subbrand-structure/

So if anyone has a line on pertex it would be nice to know what this is. Maybe it’s just pertext gl or pertex microlight. Idk. Still likely just a typo but I thought I would ask.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools