Topic

new pictures of Real Tunnel…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear new pictures of Real Tunnel…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    ke wu

@asidesign

Locale: Block seven

Real Tunnel is one of my favorite tarptents!
    It may act as a real Tarp, a Tunnel Tent, and a True Tent …
    Fully breathable fabrics!

It looks small just because 3 huge tents around it!

change face!

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Ke Wu, I really like your ideas and what you do with them, but I hope you are not going to use the name "Real Tunnel" for selling the shelter. You might have some big trademark issues with Jack Wolfskin, who already use the name (I have one of their RealTunnel tents). And as someone who has worked as a copywriter the name "Real Tunnel" seems awfully suspicious, not something someone would just come up with at the drop of a hat. Please be careful. Jack Wolfskin is a big company.

The tent looks remarkably like the MontBell Multi Tube Shelter, which can also be configured into an A-Frame shelter. I'm curious, how do you get the end walls, when in A-Frame mode, to close up like that, with a window, no less? I can't figure out where the fabric for them is when in the tunnel mode.

Will any of us here at BPL get to actually see and perhaps even purchase online any of your designs any time soon? Or are you just teasing us? I'm especially curious about the W/B fabric that you told us about last time with your other tarp.

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

Miguel,

If I may make one shameless plug, the Dual Flight and Wind Shell have been FS on my site (www.end2endtrailsupply.com)for about a month now. Hopefully if there is interest more of Ke's gear could become available.

George

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

George… I see the Dual Flight (Shelter Systems)… but where is the Wind Shell? Ah… Nevermind, I found it (sleep systems)

ke wu

@asidesign

Thank you! Miguel,
    I don't mean to sell this item here or anywhere, as it is not a commercial edition, however, I would not use this word anymore. Thanks again!
    I have already email the mont-bell company to inquiry this product mont-bell モ ンベ ル #1122278, and just wants to know whether this is a new product or not? When did this product first go to the market? Any other answer would be welcomed! Because I first published my tunnel tent in spring this year on other website. If I am later, I would delete my information immediately.
    There are many differences between the two:
    1 my size is quite large; room 2-3 persons;
    2 my fabrics is much lighter than mont-bell(20D-30D);
    3 my fabrics is breathable;
    4 the connect manner is quite different;
    5 three pole structure designed.

some details:

window

connection

zipper

inner room

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Hi Ke Wu. I'm sorry if my words seemed as if I was saying that you shouldn't sell your design. Not at all! I really, honestly think you SHOULD sell it! It's a great design. I also think your Twin Peaks design is wonderful and am thinking of buying one myself.

The Mont Bell Multi-Tube Shelter has been around for about ten years. It's one of MontBell's older shelter designs. I don't think your design was copied from that (anyway, most designs get inspiration from other designs…) and MontBell certainly wasn't the first company to design tunnel tents (the American Indians on the East coast of North America used a very similar shelter design made of bark and bent saplings, and quite a few African tribes still use similar "tunnel" shelter designs). I was just remarking on how similar the designs were. You a right that your design and MontBell's design are quite different in many ways. I personally think your design is much more elegant. I'm continually amazed by your understanding of fabric geometry and pattern-making.

The photographs show quite clearly how your end walls are attached. Thank you for showing that.

I say again, please don't let my words above discourage you. I'd love to see your designs out on the market. We need more ideas and different ways of looking at UL issues. So far most UL gear design has come from the US, lately more from Britain, a little from Japan, but not enough from other countries. It's exciting to see the new perspective and solutions that you have. UL can evolve even further now with new ways of thinking.

Thank you for sharing your ideas with us, Ke Wu.

George, I looked at your site and your despcriptiion of Ke Wu's design, but I'm curious still about the material. You say it's coated with a DWR… does that mean it is not impregnated, like SilNylon or SilPolyester? Is it more waterproof or less water resistant than Epic? If it's lighter than Epic (which is pretty light) then how's its strength and durability?

Just to be sure about the pre-order status, George: will you be taking money for the pre-order? Or will people pay as the products are shipped? Since yours is a new company and Ke Wu has only partly answered people's questions here, I am wary about sending money somewhere that I know next to nothing about. I don't want another Big Sky fiasco to happen. Since you announced publicly what you hope to do with the products, I feel it all right to bring these questions up here, on the forum, as you did.

Sorry if I seem a bit harsh… things get sticky when money is involved. In no way do I mean to detract from the great ideas that Ke Wu has, or what you hope to introduce to the UL world. Great stuff!

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Miguel,

Don't feel as though your being harsh! On the contrary, I'd be disappointed if I received no questions. It means someone is paying attention :-) ! I'd like everyone to be comfortable asking the hard questions and feel confident that when they buy from me that I WILL deliver as promised. I am well aware of the problems associated with Big Sky, and I think it rather unfortunate that these things happen. I'd rather not become a part of such events. Unfortunately, being a small company forces me to offer these products initially as a presale for this reason: being my 1st offering of any type of shelter/bivy system I have no way of anticipating demand. I've committed to growing E2E and have grown the company without a line of credit and wish to continue to do so. With a limited cash flow I've focused funds on items that have proven themselves to me (namely my stoves, which have sold on ebay for the past 6 months- ebayer user ID is hammer-two).I strongly believe in Ke's products: I have used both the Dual Flight and Wind Shell, and am sold on the product line. I personally believe in the items Ke sells as they have proven to me to be high quality.I know I'm going to answer your questions out of order, but I hope you'll bear with me.
    1st, I was offering the items for presale with payment in advance, but as of tonight I will change that. I will change the website to reflect an initial payment of half the price at the time of order, to show a commitment on the part of the buyer(I will commit to the other half of the funding), with the balance at the time of shipment.I hope to be able to bring Ke's products to the table in the future as in stock items, since he really does have some innovative designs!
    2nd, I am not an expert in fabrics, although I'm learning, (that is Ke's area, however)but I can tell you the material is a 20D*20D and the waterproof portion is PU coated. The breathable fabric works very well as I witnessed 1st hand on a recent above treeline bivy. It is also very strong and durable. To date I haven't had any problems with abrasion or failed seams and/or material. As far as water resistance,on my recent bivy above treeline the Dual Flight withstood steady rain all night, w/ steady wind. The wind was gusting well above 40 mph outside my protected refuge, so I realized about half of that where I was bivied. In the morning I had no penetration from rain, and only minor condensation associated with shelter being closed up tight.The Wind Shell bivy kept my bag 100% dry.I had no moisture from any sources inside, and it kept any rain spatter at bay with ease.
    3rd, is it lighter than Epic? My tarp comes in at just a hair above 9 ounces, and that includes 1/2 being PU coated.I'd imagine the 100% breathable is a bit lighter. The fabric info is the info supplied to me by Ke Wu, so again I will defer those questions to him.

ke wu

@asidesign

Hi~ Miguel,

Thank you for your so detailed information and I do know I am late. I really missed that! At least, I should modify or improve the original design much more…
    My material is not like silnylon, 20/20D dual ripstop materials is a kind of specially treated polyester which may stand longtime high temperature, ultraviolet and acid rain without losing much strength.
    I also use the similar material to build my sleeping bag!
    All you know, Pertex Quantum or Microlight always leak down if you make an UL sleeping bag with it especially after severe compression. My materials is built so strong that never leak one cluster of down or feather and still maintain highly breathable and ultralight!
    Epic is breathable, but it is heavier than my fabrics …You will find that there are many other differences between these two kinds of materials, perhaps I need your tests and answer! :)

Here is my SUL sleeping bag (-40 DEGREE)

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

I've had a bit of time to reflect on the posts in this thread. In light of the problems other manufacturers have had, and to show my commitment to 1)my customers, 2)ASI Designs and Ke Wu, and 3)E2E, I am taking no payment on pre orders for Ke's products. If you are a serious buyer who has had doubts, I'm putting my money where my mouth is. I will not charge a dime until the time of shipment. By placing an order on my site you are committing to the purchase without the risk.I am committed to growing on my dime, not yours. This is a learning process for me and I hope to not repeat the mistakes of others.This is the last I will say on the subject, as I am not comfortable with making plugs, or taking advantage of the generosity of Ryan and BPL.

E C

@ofelas

Locale: On the Edge

Good enough for me. Your contact info plz?

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Thanks E C. I've updated my profile to include the URL to my site.

Michael Mangold

@mkmangold

Can we suggest names? How about "WuTube?" or "The Wumb?" Anyone else?

Tommy Clapp

@tcxjwagoneer

Locale: GSM Area

Did this ever get rolling?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools