Topic

Zpacks hexamid solo tarp with fixed length trekking pole

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Zpacks hexamid solo tarp with fixed length trekking pole

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

I'm looking at the hexamid solo tarp (not the tent) with the extended beak. My concern is that I use 120cm fixed length poles. Would this work since it's a shaped tarp and it is designed to be set up just one way?

I normally use a cat cut tarp which has a lot of adjustment for how it can be pitched in a-frame (high, low, wide, narrow, etc). Going from adjustable to fixed length poles wasn't a problem.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I'd say no.

You'll need a pole jack of some sort or longer poles. I hike w/mine at 120cm and that isn't tall enough.

Chad B
    BPL Member

@cenazwalker

Locale: Southwest

Zpacks recommends a pole height of 122cm, so I think your poles at 120cm would be fine.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Well, the pole almost always sinks a bit in my experience. You'd better not be tall.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Sticks and rocks have been known to work pretty good . you are only looking for another 1" or so.

I always use a thin flattish rock or piece of wood between tip of my pole and floor of hexamid netting.

Solo only calls for 122 cm pole

Larry Swearingen
    BPL Member

@larry_swearingen

Locale: NE Indiana

So Zpacks says a 122cm pole and you only have a 120cm pole ?
    That's with the fixed guyline length so if you just shorten the
    guys a little it'll have the same geometry. You just end up lowering the whole
    3 dimensional shape 2cm or less than one inch. No big deal.

Larry

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools