Topic

Recently New and Updated MLD Gear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Recently New and Updated MLD Gear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

In the last few weeks/months we have added or updated a large number of products. Only a few have been mentioned on BPL so far. Many of these were commented about / requested in various posts here in the last year. Most had been in the proto bin To-get -To for years… Here is a list all of them in one place.

Also- All quilts, Silnlon shelters and Sil floor SuperLight and eVENT bivys are shipping in 1- 2 days right now.

More to come in Dec – Thanks!

Serenity Shelters
    Updated for 2015: Corner Struts, 5” Solid side walls, New Duo Size, Front Door are 2/3 solid 1/3 Mesh as Standard.

DuoMid XL
    New Size with Matching InnerNet. Asymmetrical: Enter and Exit in rain while keeping the living area dry.

Pyramid InnerNets
    Inverted T Zips as standard on the DuoMidXL and SuperMids. DuoMid XL also fits SuperMid and most other 9X9 Mids to create a rain free assym net area for 2 in the back of the Mid.

2015 Mountain 10d Fabric
    Significant Update after 3ys of the Endurance 10d
    New fabric for the quilts and bivys. Slightly lighter, a bit stronger and higher breathability. More info on the MLD Fabric Mojo Page.

Patrol Shelter
    Addition of the DuoSize – matched to the Serenity Duo.

Balaclavas
    Apex Synthetic Balaclavas in three sizes and two thicknesses.

Rain Kilts
    Brown Pro SilNylon and .75 Green Cuben

M Quilt
    2/3 Elephant Foot Style Quilt with poncho style head slot.

Spirit Quilts
    Option of Poncho Style head Slit in 48 and 38 versions.

eVENT rain Mitts
    Now available in a Small size.

VARIO 4 Carbon Trek Poles
    Addition of the shorter 125cm size
    Update Ver 2- more secrure longer lasting screw together lower 2 sections vs Ver 1 friction twist lock.

Eli Zabielski
    BPL Member

@ezabielski

Locale: Boulder, CO

Any chance of building a custom cuben Prophet?

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

Duo Patrol Shelter, what a great idea. In Denmark it's illegal to camp on the beach with a shelter that has a zipper. A tarp like the Patrol Shelter is legal. I like to camp on the beach. The biggest nature reserve we have. But its nice to go with a friend instead of always solo.

The duo is high on my wishlist now!

Cheers
    Peter

David Ure

@familyguy

Just wait until you see the Synthetic filled booties!

; )

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Stop! Enough of the cool new cuben gear! A duo sized patrol shelter will surely tempt me. I stopped at a cuben DuoMid, resisting buying a cuben Cricket and the smaller cuben TrailStar. Thank God you have not come out with hybrid cuben versions of your packs yet, it was hard enough to avoid the impulse to buy an Exodus pack in wasabi green just because, well, it was in wasabi green. BTW- can you leak the weight of the duo patrol shelter? Can you? Please? Spare a picture of it?

Matthew Frye
    Spectator

@frye

Ron,

Are these already being sold or will they be released in 15? I ordered a serenity shelter last week and I'm curious if I should expect the old or new design.

Thanks kindly,
    Frye

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Wow, I'm impressed. I ordered a silnylon Duomid on Tuesday afternoon and just received it today (Friday) before noon.

DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

Locale: Mountain West

Hmm, that is interesting that the Tzips are now standard on the larger pyramid inner nets.

So, my cuben supermid innernet is still under construction (waiting for a cuben shipment to arrive to MLD), but I asked Ron about having a Tzip instead of the normal right zip. He graciously said he would do it, but that it would add about +1oz.

After thinking about it, I opted to keep the normal right zip (j zip).

Mainly b/c I bought the cuben version to have the lightest possible option, but also….with the supermid the left half of the doors are generally staked to the ground (both bottom tieout and a midpanel tieout) so I typically only open the right half of the door. So…most of the time the added weight of the tzip wouldn't justify the use.

Plus…I believe with most tzip options there is always a small hole in the center intersection. (not that it would matter that much but might freak out my wife)

Anyway….I wonder if Ron has some different input on why they moved to the Tzip as Standard instead of an option…i.e., that would mean Ron thinks Tzips are better than the normal right zip. (not to put words in his mouth though)

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

The inverted T zip on the larger Mid InnerNets do make a lot of sense -Plus so many were asking for them.

Proportional to the overall weight, the slight weight gain is offset by the functionality for 2+ people. It can also prevent damage since folks won't be crawling, grinding, mashing, snaking, clawing and tripping over each other as much to get out one smaller door.

On the DuoMid XL and SuperMid T is now standard.

We keep the L zip on the smaller Solo InnerNets thinking it saves weight and cost and a pole is in the center anyway so you have to go in one side anyway – not a lot of extra utility to a T in the small size.

We did keep the price the same even though the T is more work and material.

Serenity is all the new style for the last few weeks.

Generally we update and ship the new version of stuff (if it's not a huge change) ahead of reposting the specs so no one with a very recent order gets an older version.

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

Just got my Exodus. Liking the wasabi and details a lot. Thanks, Mr. Bell

You may want to update photos on the MLD website to show the updated zigzag side compression. It's very nice.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

@Matt, I heard you had a failure with your bivouac on the LCT. Bummer. The LCT likes to do that to people. What has become of your solution? Buy something new or repair that old guy of yours?

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

Hey, John,

It was honestly more a failure of living in LA and storing gear in my garage, but OR was fantastic about their warranty. I ended up with a new single hoop bivy for free.

This is an upgrade from my 2000 standard bivy, even though they make a similar product today. Unreal customer service and they are my first choice in any type of gear that they offer.

That made little sense. OR sent me a current model single hoop bivy. No receipt provided, no insurance required, they just sent it. Not the best thread for this, I love my MLD pack and quilt, but OR treated me beyond any reasonable expectation.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools