Topic

Pre-,During,Post- Liquid Nutrition?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Pre-,During,Post- Liquid Nutrition?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Krause

@rmkrause

Locale: Pacific Northwest

What's everybody using for pre-,during and post training liquid nutrition? Right now I'm using Gu2O pre and during and Clif Shot for post.

What are some good enduro fluids? The Gu20 it ok but not for long distance stuff.

David Wills

@willspower3

My favorite is a mixture of 30 grams each of whey protein isolate powder, dextrose, and maltodextrin. I only drink this, sometimes mixed with a piece of fruit, after a workout. I also like to get in some wheat bread. Pre workout nutrition for me is usually dextrose and maltodextrin about 30-45 minutes before events (5k's for me) along with a good meal of complex carbs (pasta, cheerios, cornflakes depending on time of day) that doesn't cause stomach 'issues' about 2 hours before. I don't usually train long enough to justify anything other than gatorade during a workout, but I would add some dextrose and maltodextrin to it if I was doing something hardcore. NOW nutrition is a good company for these supplements and can be found cheaply on Amazon.com

I would recommend reading on the science of glycogen stores and protein usage. A good no-BS site is http://www.intense-workout.com . It doesn't have the "every supplement is required to be successful" feel that bodybuilding.com has even though good articles can be found there too.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I use Hammer Perpetuem for pre and during, then switch to First Endurance Ultragen for post. Perpetuem is 54 grams of maltodextrin, 6 grams of protein(soy isolate), and 2 grams of fat(lecithin, I believe). This is in a 2.4 oz packet, which is a nice way to take it on backpacking trips
    or long dayhikes. Ultragen is 60 grams of dextrose and 20 grams of protein from whey protein, plus a good ration of electrolytes and vitamins. This is in a 3.25 oz serving. It should be taken within 30 minutes of ceasing exercise. It should be followed by a full high carb meal within 2 hours according to the manufacturer as well exercise physiology literature I have read.
    There are dozens of products out there with similar ingredients, or you can mix your own like David. Basically, you need relatively simple carbs while on the move along with a little protein, and lots of carbs and, to a lesser degree, protein immediately after you stop to hasten recovery(primarily glycogen replenishment, but also tissue repair). I would say experiment a bit and find out which products/home brews work best for you. I have found it to be a real voyage of self discovery. Best of luck.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools