Topic

Another “which tent” for Patagonia thread?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Another “which tent” for Patagonia thread?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

I've read through quite a few threads on here regarding Patagonia. I'm hoping to go in Mid February and doing the full circuit in Torres Del Paine and then visit Log Glaciares National Park.

I'm pretty set on gear except for the tent. I'm going with my girlfriend so I'm a little wary of using a three season tent. I have a Copper Spur UL2.

I've read that most campsites are sheltered but I think we'd be stopping at dickson which I believe is un-sheltered. I know there is a hostel/refugio there but I don't think I want to book in advance.

Would a copper spur ul2 hold up down there? Anyone else use one in Patagonia?

Any suggestions on a cheapish decent 4 season tent available in Canada?

Nathan F
    BPL Member

@nathan-f

I used a Hilleberg Nallo 2 for the circuit and throughout Patagonia. It was really a perfect tent for that environment. Perhaps slight overkill at sheltered sights in Torres, but was glad to have a four season tent plenty of nights, especially when the wind picked up.

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

I thought about hilleberg and considered the jannu, wow the price is up there and with the cdn dollar down that would hurt. The Nallo seems more affordable, but a tent for one trip I'm having a hard time to swallow. Any tents under 500 that would serve as a decnt four seasoner?

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

When I went I used a fly creek UL 2 and my friend used a CS 2. They both held up just fine. Just learn how to stake it down, even on a platform (there is one campground that uses platforms, but our itinerary had us skip that one anyway).

I think way too much thought goes into the tents for that circuit – all the pictures you see of tents blowing away, etc – I would chalk most of that up to the people who actually hike the circuit. They are young-ish world travelers who have never, ever gone backpacking in the traditional sense ever. This is NOT a wilderness trip; it is an international trek – and an AMAZING one at that!

Before you leave you will watch all these kids trying to learn how to put up a tent in the park across the street from the Erratic Rock hostel where they rented them, and even in that protected environment it's quite a funny sight. Then, once you are in the park, you get to laugh at the packing jobs these poor souls do…I've never, ever seen so many things dangling off of packs before!

The stoves they rent are the suitcase coleman types…so in addition to the huge packs with all kinds of cheap rented gear all over them, they are carrying in one hand this massive fold up car glamping stove.

You'll be COMPLETELY fine with the CS. enjoy the trip!

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

you do not at all need a four season tent there.

Even Dickson was fine – the only place we actually had wind was the first one, Camping Seron. There is certainly quite bit of wind on the hike, but the campsites most certainly are quite sheltered.

Take your CS2 and relax. Save your money for the trip – holy crap is it expensive down there!!!!

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

Thanks jennifer, I mainly use a tarptent notch solo. If I was alone I would definitely bring that. For the cs2 I think I'll bring some msr gorundhogs to be safe. We most likely will be camping at seron. I'll just be extra careful about set up.

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

I slept in a Notch for over 60 nights during my 10-week trip to Patagonia earlier this year. I had a crazy night or two, but nothing intolerable. Like Jennifer said, anyone on this forum will be in the 95% percentile in terms of wilderness experience for the Torres circuit. There are people out there with gear you wouldn't take into your own backyard.

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

I wonder if the 2 person stratospire would be as durable as the notch. Anyone have experience with both?

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

I own both. The nice thing about the SS2 is that the fly is lower to the ground. You can accomplish the same in the Notch by lowering the poles for "storm mode," which I did regularly in Patagonia. The problem I had is that the wind could (and did) blow in dirt, water, and mud under the fly. I would opt for the solid inner if I could do it again. You can also ask Henry to add extra tie down loops on the hem for you to use as more stake out points in really windy weather.

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

I would never use a bomber fout season tent but i'll try to find any excuse to buy new three season ones. I don't think i'll get one but thanks for you tip regarding the solid inner.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

This is how the Notch looks with the poles set at 40"
    Notch at 40 inch

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools