Topic

Real copy, or fake original….

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Paul Wagner BPL Member
PostedNov 10, 2014 at 4:25 pm

Many years ago, we were given a really nice old French wine poster—one that fit perfectly into the style of our old house in downtown Napa. But the poster was unframed, and we learned that framing it would cost quite a lot of money.

here's a link to someone selling a similar poster:

https://www.rare-maps.com/postersDetails.cfm?pid=350834&CFID=15646575&CFTOKEN=23021730&jsessionid=84308afb439ce1964513803c35e3e1d71406

That gave us a great reason to scour the local antique stores and thrift shops for suitable frame, and we found one a few weeks later. It had a cheap, funky old Wild West kind of print in it, so we didn’t feel bad about flipping that print around and dropping the French poster into the frame. It’s lived there ever since.

But after the earthquake in Napa, most of our pictures ended up on the floor, along with just about everything else that wasn’t nailed down. The clean-up was a massive job, and it gave us the chance to take a look at almost everything we owned. During the process, M pulled out that poster from a pile of plaster dust and said:

“Hey, Look at this.”

The back of the poster was visible, and that cheap old Wild West print was actually a print of a painting by Albert Bierstadt, the famous western landscape painter. . It still isn’t the style of what we want in our old Victorian…but it was cool, in a different way.

And in meantime, we had bought a small, rustic cabin near Sonora…and this thing would look great hanging in a corner up there.

So I cleaned it up and fixed a few spots that were damaged. And I got curious about this guy Bierstadt. I went online and found out exactly how famous he is (very!) and all sorts of information, including a complete illustrated listing of his works. Great! Now I could even find out where it was painted.

I happily scanned through 20+ pages Bierstadt paintings, anxiously looking for ours. At page ten, I found one that was similar, but not exact. Different foreground, slightly different angle of the mountain. Like this one:

http://www.albertbierstadt.org/Western-Landscape.html

So I kept looking. Pages and pages. I got to page 23—the last page.

The painting wasn’t there.

I looked through them all again. Nope. Then I found another site, with a similar catalog of his work.

Still no luck.

And as I was mentioning this to M, she took a long hard look at the signature on the print we had. It read “Bierstad.” No final t. Not Bierstadt.

[img]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-5t_hj3ifsTA/VGFRoRw_gpI/AAAAAAAAvIk/vch1d6xP8Ac/s640/IMG_0058.JPG[/img]

We started laughing. We didn’t have a cheap print of a Bierstadt landscape. We had a cheap print of a forgery of a Bierstadt landscape. How many people can say that?

It will look great in the cabin.

Paul Wagner BPL Member
PostedNov 11, 2014 at 11:26 am

Bierstadt is a painter who was famous for painting landscapes of the West in the 1800s…including many places where people on these boards backpack. He was one of the first to record images Yellowstone, Tetons, Yosemite, etc.

Thought that might be interesting…

PostedNov 11, 2014 at 7:30 pm

"What is this? Think you might be on the wrong site…"

After that long and heartfelt story, this reply had me rolling on the floor. I'm still laughing.

Paul Wagner BPL Member
PostedNov 12, 2014 at 7:57 am

Thanks to some crowdsourcing on another backpacking site…

Turns out that this IS a print of an original Bierstadt, which hangs in the Princeton University art collection. For some reason it isn't listed in the "complete works of Alfred Bierstadt" that we consulted….

http://www.jewelriverart.com/product/MOUN1/MOUNT-ADAMS-WASHINGTON-by-Albert-Bierstadt.html

And it still makes me wonder what happened to that last "t" in his signature…

Eli Zabielski BPL Member
PostedNov 12, 2014 at 2:09 pm

There's a 14er in Colorado named after him and a lake in Rocky Mountain NP. I'm sure there's other places.

Nick Smolinske BPL Member
PostedNov 12, 2014 at 5:18 pm

"What is this? Think you might be on the wrong site…"

But how much does the painting *weigh*, Paul?

Paul Wagner BPL Member
PostedNov 12, 2014 at 9:23 pm

Ha! We took it out of it's frame, so now it weighs a lot less.

I should probably remove the wood we used as a backing, and use foam core to cut the weight even more…lol

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...