Topic

Tea Light Stove Upgrade

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Tea Light Stove Upgrade

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Here's one way to simplify your UL tea light stove setup:

http://jasonklass.blogspot.com/2007/09/tea-light-stove-upgrade.html

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

Very interesting. I've never really thought about fooling with a tea light stove mostly because I didn't figure I'd keep one around long enough to really test it well. However, that little idea may just change my mind on that one.

Thanks for sharing :D

Tom

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Jason-
    Great idea. I recently tried using a tea light stove because I was tired of the guessing factor of my other alchy stoves..how much fuel was in there, etc… and found that just dumping the alcohol in the tea light got water to a rolling boil in 5 minutes. I like your set up. It reduces the crush factor, everything is all in one.

I've come full circle with stoves. I still like Esbit and my Giga power.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

It is a good idea. One thing I wondered about was adding alcohol since you have to pour down into the candle holder now from a distance above.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Donna, wow, 5 min . to boil with the tea candle stove, you;ve got a good one. Mines not that fast. You've got a winner!!!!

I'm with Matt on this one. A 2 inch freefall distance from top of support down to the tin looks like a challenge. A squirting type bottle, maybe. I think that would be kinda splashy also.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

and found that just dumping the alcohol in the tea light got water to a rolling boil in 5 minutes.

Donna, how much water, approx what air temp and approx what starting water temp (sorry about getting quantitative on ya but it's my nature:-)

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Believe it or not…I discovered it by accident. I had been using Tinny's new blackfly stove (before the iso came out)when I went on my 5 day trip along Mt Rogers. I was having some problems of over-heating so he suggested making a blend of equal parts methanol/isopropal. I gotta say, it worked like a charm. BUT….I found I am not a simmer gal and like to get things boiling.

I went to the Catskills the first week of Sept. and camped out a week. I used the alchohol blend in my tealight on a whim. Morning temps were roughly in the upper 40's (I could see my breath and needed a fire)and day temps were mid 70's. The morning took much longer to boil and more fuel. I would say roughly 8 minutes in that low temp. The rest of the time in 5 minutes flat. I used a windscreen and my Esbit stove. Water temp was spring water cold. I have to guess water temps because I didn't have a means to measure it. In the future, the morning temps that cold would leave me to use my Esbit or Giga. I'm not too much of an alchy fan. Too much fiddle factor. But try the blend. It worked great.

I forgot to say…I normally boil 1 1/2 cups water no matter. I can always use leftover for cleaning. I have a Snowpeak solo (not sure the model. It nests 2 bowls and a fry lid) The pot I use holds just under a liter.

Also…as you can see I just wing things…I completely filled the tealight in the morning for a boil. During the day and evening, I filled it but discovered I only used half of the fuel. I believe tealights hold an ounce.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Thanks Donna, I'm gonna try that.

I have good experience w/ a tealight setup but will try yours'.

Todd

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Hi Todd, what does your tealight setup consist of?

Donna, thanks for your info. Got a question <""Believe it or not…I discovered it by accident. I had been using Tinny's new blackfly stove (before the iso came out)when I went on my 5 day trip along Mt Rogers. I was having some problems of over-heating so he suggested making a blend of equal parts methanol/isopropal. I gotta say, it worked like a charm. BUT….I found I am not a simmer gal and like to get things boiling.""

Was it the ISO that overheated or the Blackfly? The reason I ask is the ISO came out before the Blackfly.

Zelph's StoveWorks

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

uhhh…..the Blackfly was first. My stove is black. The Iso has those 4 screws with a double wick coming out of them and the pot stand. Mine has just the single looping wick.

http://www.minibulldesign.com/fs2.htm

But…whatever the name, it was the very first wick stove Tinny built. The windscreen was crucial in keeping the temp of the stove cool enough as to not overheat. I finally knew how to work with it. It's a great little stove if you want to slow-cook, which sometimes I enjoy. I did find it difficult to pour the alcohol back without water from the jacket getting in the way. After awhile of using the thing, I knew pretty much how much alchy I needed for certain meals or tea. Like anything else, one gets familiar with their gear and its personality. : )

Also…fuel usage went a very long way. That's one of the great things about his wick stoves. It will boil, and you can set up your campsite while it's heating. I just found that my style of camping turned out not what I thought it would be.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Hey John,
    If you have a bottle with a spout, it's still easy to fill the stove. Maybe I'll post a companion video about filling and lighting the stove to demonstrate this.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Hi Dan,

I owe SuzyQHoo pics of this setup – I'll post them when I can.

I modified an idea from someone on this forum – I'll look into it and give him the credit when I get back in the swing – I'll be out of pocket for a bit.

Todd

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Jason, that would be a good solution. In the past I have used a 10 oz water bottle so need to get something like what you mention.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Even with the wire cloth pot stand "in the way" — it's still easy to fuel the stove with squirt cap plastic bottles, such as this one from REI — which comes in different sizes.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Ben, are the REI squirters leakproof? I would trust them for a lotion, but have my doubts about a liquid. Thoughts?

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

John,

I have had mixed results with the squirt bottles. The bottle needs to be tested. Squeeze on an empty bottle near your ear. If you hear air or the bottle colapses then there is an air leak and the bottle should be rejected.

AntiGravityGear sells alcohol bottles with the squirt tops. Never had a problem.

I have all my bottle mixed in a plastic bag, but it seems that the REI bottles seldom leak but the Coghlans leak often.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Donna, In november of 2005 tiny came out with stove he named ISO. Later took it off the market because of potential hazards. Later came out with the blackfly and then isofly.

Thanks for your explanation about the overheating.

To learn more about wick stoves visit Zelph's StoveWorks

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

John:

I haven't had any troubles with them. But it probably doesn't hurt to test them beforehand. I would test by filling them with water, than squeezing and shaking them upside down.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

I've had an 8oz (or maybe 4 oz) oval bottle that I swapped to a squirt lid that has had alcy in it for over a year… no leaks yet…

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Dan-
    I see our confusions! Thanks for letting me know.

Still…it's a great little stove. I have the Nion 2 as well.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools