Topic

“The Jug” Arizona

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning “The Jug” Arizona

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

Hey all

I know its not really backpacking, but wondering if anyone on here has any experience with "The Jug" hike in Arizona? I was wondering how technical it is? Is rappelling necessary, or can the hike be done with just swimming, rock scrambling and jumping off ledges into pools?

THANKS!

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State
    Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Thanks for the link!

I have heard that the waterfall that people rappel off can also be jumped off into the pool below the falls. Is that true? If the rappel is necessary, is it pretty simple? I have a regular climbing harness and a belay device and have done some basic rappels before. Would I be able to do that one?

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

Dan: The rappel is simple to setup, but I would advise an autoblock for the first person to descend, and a fireman's belay for everybody else. The waterfall is quite slippery. I enjoyed the luxury of my 6mm wetsuit while I hung out in the water and gave everybody a fireman's.

The jump option looks intimidating from the rappel, but I watched several people do it – you can climb down until you are only about 20 feet above the water before you jump, and it was quite deep when I was there. The climb down is out of sight, which is what makes it look intimidating from the rap.

If I did it again I would probably jump.

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Thanks for the reply! So we have ATC belay devices that we were planning on using. Would that work for a simple rappel like that? Or, I was thinking of just jumping down if that would be easier.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools