Topic

Does this exist – Mid related idea

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Does this exist – Mid related idea

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

As I mentioned in another thread I have been thinking about buying a mid to use as an all-season shelter. However I am not totally convinced by mesh inner options I have seen. All the inners I've seen are either full inners that take up the entire floor area of the Mid or they are half inners which only use half the floor space, leaving a huge (in a 9ft mid) vestibule area.

Well, has anyone thought about making a 3/4 inner for a big mid? According to my geometry in a 9ft mid this would leave enough space to sleep two people "behind" the pole and one person in front of the pole if you had to, while also leaving a reasonably sized (~2.5 ft) vestibule area for sheltered cooking. Other advantages include avoiding a insufficiently steep rear wall as in an asymmetrical design (i.e. less usable space) and being able to leave the door half-open while still protecting the living space from (vertical) rain.

I'm considering getting someone to make one of these up for me.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Mids are VERY easy to mock up , so why don't you get some string ,poles (or sticks…) some stakes and a measuring tape and build your own ?
    Don't forget to put mats and sleeping bags inside to have a better feel for the usable space.
    mid mock up

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

Locus Gear make 3/4 and 2/3 inners for their Khufu mid, either as mesh bug shelters, or as ripstop nylon, both with sil nylon floors. They are not shown on their website, but they are available as custom orders, and you can request a pricelist.

I have one of the ripstop 2/3 inners, and also a custom made mesh 2/3 inner; the 2/3 arrangement works very well, as it provides quite generous vestibule space (a 1/3 rectangular strip at the front of the mid).

If I understand their 3/4 inners correctly, the front wall of the inner runs from the left front corner of the mid to the right mid edge (in plan), which is quite an ingenious design.

So the front vestibule tapers from (almost) nothing at the left side, to 1/2 of the pyramid depth at the right side.

I attach a photo of my 2/3 ripstop inner (which is rectangular in plan).
    Of course the 2/3 configuration is asymmetrical front to back.

(I realize that you are enquiring about larger mids).

khufu nylon inner

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

>Mids are VERY easy to mock up , so why don't you get some string ,poles (or sticks…) some stakes and a measuring tape and build your own?

Hi Franco,

I plan to, don't have a yard but I can use a friend's. But that is sort of orthogonal to my original post. I am pretty confident that a roughly 9ft square mid would have plenty of space for me, but I would like to be able to accomodate 3 people (at a pinch) and still have a reasonable vestibule for cooking and gear. It seems that 3/4 mesh inner would do the trick and it seems funny that nobody makes one (yet).

Robert,

Thanks for the info. I didn't realise Locus made those inners. I am already leaning towards them if I decide to get something made up. Tapering the inner in plan is an interesting idea.

DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

Locale: Mountain West

I believe a Duomid XL inner would also work for you.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

I agree the Duomid XL looks nice, but it's strictly 2 person whereas I'm thinking of something that can accomodate 3.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

JC
    I made a quick mock up based on a 9'x9' footprint and a 73" pole.
    It works
    Then looking at the shape something came to mind and here it is :
    Shangri La inner 4 3

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=43063
    The Shangri La 5 is 9'6" so it will be a bit smaller than that but not a big deal.
    The one on this side (door) side of the pole will have not very much shoulder room but OK.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Franco: yes! That is almost exactly what I had envisioned… OK now reading through that thread I can see that the Bearpaw Pyranet 3 is basically what I am describing. I knew I couldn't be the first person to think of it (although I am a little disappointed that I'm not). 90 inches wide seems a short to me (at 6'4) but it is very close to what I imagined. Looks like I'll be giving Bearpaw an email.

>The one on this side (door) side of the pole will have not very much shoulder room but OK.

Actually with those dimensions the two-person space is 122 cm wide and the one-person space is 70cm, so I think the guy next the door would actually have the most wiggle room. Especially since his mesh wall is much steeper than the back wall.

Only problem with this design I can see is having to step over people to get out, but that's the compromise.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools