Topic

Cloudburst 2 vs BD skylight vs ?? Need input!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cloudburst 2 vs BD skylight vs ?? Need input!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Burden

@cjburden

My girlfriend wants the largest tent possible, I could care less personally. I like everything about the Shires Cloudburst 2. I don't think that it would be spacious enough for my lady though. She seems to really have her eyes on the Black Diamond Skylight.

Between the two the skylight is more expensive, heavier, and from what I understand more prone to water leakage. It also LOOKS like it would be less stable in high winds, though I don't have any data to confirm that.

Is there another tent that may be a happy medium between these 2 tents (for $300 or less)? The double rainbow seems like it would be more spacious than the cloudburst2 as far as headroom, but it looks like it would also be less stable than the cloudburst.

P. P.

@toesnorth

Locale: PNW

I went through the same dilemma and wound up going with a Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo and I couldn't be happier! Tons of headroom, room for gear, quick set-up and, so far, has handled wind well on the mountaintops we've been on. I researched until my eyes bled and I went for low weight and headroom. Also, it was in stock!

Christopher Burden

@cjburden

I really like the lunar duo except for the need to carry hiking poles/pay an extra $50 for 2 carbon fiber poles. To me that is a bit excessive.

I don't generally hike with my poles, but maybe I'll have to start. :)

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

From personal experience I'd say that TarpTent's RainShadow 2 is luxuriously roomy for two size XL adults …. and not a lot heavier than the Cloudburst 2, much lighter than Black Diamond Skylight and less expensive too.

But if you need it NOW, Henry may or may not have it in stock … it's worth a phone call or email to find out.

Andrew Richard

@fairweather8588

Locale: The Desert

Ive had both the DR and the Duo. Hands down the most room. The DR is not going to let you sit up (comfortably) with someone sleeping next to you. And 2 real adults can't sit up if theyre parallel. I sold the DR in favor of the Lunar Duo. Best size weight ratio period. Side guyouts are a must in hard wind. The green is a little TOO green, but I'll live with it.

Terry G
    BPL Member

@delvxe

Locale: Pacific Northwest

You don't have to go with carbon fiber tent poles for the Lunar Duo. I ordered some stock Easton Aluminum bits from questoutfiters.com (http://www.questoutfitters.com/tent_poles.htm#TENT%20POLES) and made my own. I used what they called the "nanolights" which cost about $20 and came in 0.5 oz heavier than the carbon fiber poles you can pick up through SMD.

The poles I made were rounded on one end and had a grommet tip on the other. I think they are 46" from end to end.

Using trekking poles is certainly sturdier – perticularly if you are concerned about wind – but the tent poles work great.

Terry

Christopher Burden

@cjburden

Well I went out for a hike today and took my poles along to see if I could try to get used to them. I guess walking with them wasn't so bad, but I still think I'd prefer to go without them altogether. I'm so torn.

As far as going with aluminum poles, I'd be a little scared to go with aluminum if I'm not putting a bend in them, they are so soft. I guess I could carry a length of rope with me about 45" and then just find a couple branches that match the rope length wherever i set up camp.

I guess I'm leaning toward the duo at this point but am still feeling a bit cautious because of the pole setup.

P. P.

@toesnorth

Locale: PNW

I think you should shoot off an email to Six Moons Designs or give them a call and ask their advice. I do use trekking poles so I don't have to worry about the pole issue but it would be shame to let that deter you from a truly great tent.
    Good luck.

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

I've had the Cloudburst 2 and currently use a Rainshadow 2, both are good tents, but the Rainshadow is GIGANTIC. 2 big guys who roll a lot won't have a problem in the RS. On a 10 day outing last year, (besides sleeping 2 very comfortably) it was the poker playing place in light rain for 5 of us.
    It's under 3 lbs, really does sleep 3, and it vents reasonably well.

Good luck,
    MikeB

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools