Topic

Backpacking in Missouri in November?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Russ W BPL Member
PostedOct 28, 2014 at 3:54 pm

I have an upcoming business trip to St. Louis in November, and wondered if it would be worthwhile to see if there was a 20-25 mile overnight hike within a 3 hour radius that would be worthy of burning a few days of vacation and a rental car expense. Knowing absolutely nothing about the area, I did a little bit of research and uncovered a few wilderness areas driving SW towards Springfield, and some interesting river areas in the Ozarks.

So my questions: Is this a worthwhile quest? Any recommendations for a good two-day backpacking trip? The average temperatures are about 58 high and 32 low…what about precipitation that time of year?

Thanks for the help!!!

Russ W BPL Member
PostedOct 29, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Aaron – Thank you so much for responding. I had done a preliminary search and the area you are recommending sounds wonderful. The pictures on the site certainly seem to suggest an awesome hike is available in MO!

I have a bunch of questions, which I can ask you here, or I can send you a PM and take the discussion off-line if you would rather. But in general…

The lengh is perfect and flexible – Since it is not a loop-hike, do you have any knowledge of available shuttle-service?

Would you start from the South and go North or opposite?

Per the maps on the website (wonderful information BTW), there are really no designated campsites, so it would appear that you just sort of need to figure out a spot 100 yards off the trail? Guess since it follows a river, H2O isn't an issue. What's your take on this? I'll be using a TT Notch.

Since I'm flying, I'll probably use an alcohol stove for ease of fuel, unless you could point me to an easy canister purchase.

And finally, if I'm in good shape and used to 2-3K uphills/downhills, how will I find the mileage on this section of the OZ? It looks like a lot of small ups and downs, but that could easily be be deceiving.

Again, thank you for your generous help.

Russ

Adam G BPL Member
PostedOct 29, 2014 at 7:03 pm

The Ozark Trail is definitely the way to go. I would recommend the Taum Sauk area near Johnson Shutins. I'm not sure if you will be able to find a shuttle. I think hitchhiking would be sketchy in that area. The people at the Ozark Trail Association are super friendly, so I bet you could ask them for advice.

If you want a gas canister, you can get one at the REI in Brentwood.

Russ W BPL Member
PostedOct 30, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Awesome advice Adam! I have about 3 or 4 potential hikes to research, so I went ahead and booked my flight, with about 2.5 days planned for hiking. Something good is going to happen in MO! Also, thanks for pointing me to the REI..it's on the way and I would prefer a canister stove for this one. I can't wait!…..Hello MO…here I come!

PostedNov 4, 2014 at 7:30 am

the Whites Creek Trail in the Irish wilderness area would be a good idea in southern Missouri it is a loop trail 18 miles and from what I've found Its as nice as Missouri gets I'm thinking of going down just after Thanksgiving myself

Russ W BPL Member
PostedNov 4, 2014 at 11:47 am

I'll surely take a look and add to my list of possibilities. I may or may not have someone join me,so having good loop possibilities is a nice option. I really appreciate the help.

Russ W BPL Member
PostedNov 14, 2014 at 3:11 pm

So here it is…. I asked the forum for help in planning a 2.5 day backpacking trip to MO in November, and you responded. Aaron recommends the “Current River Section” of the Ozark Trail. Mark Andrews and Adam G. recommend the “Taum Sauk” section, and Mark Reis recommends the “Whites Creek”. Wow….so many choices!! So ultimately I decide on the Current River section because I found a shuttle…great!!!

Then comes the “Polar Vortex”, so my average temperatures are thrown out the window…. Highs in the low 30’s, and lows in the teens and 20’s, and throw in something called “snow showers”. OK…I can handle hiking in cold temps and snow in an area I’m completely unfamiliar with…no problem…ALL SYSTEMS GO!!!

Then my company cancels my business trip to St. Louis do to “Potential for Civil Unrest” because of the Furguson MO situation and potential for riots and some such. I looked on the map, and sure enough, Furguson is about 3 miles away from the airport.

So DANG!!!! I guess the higher being didn’t want me hiking this weekend…. Thank you all for the gracious help. Sooner or later I’m going hiking in MO! Has anyone else aborted a trip for something as stupid as this?

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedNov 14, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Ferguson might be only three miles from one edge of the airport, but it is a little further from the airport terminal. I think that the civil unrest stayed on the other side of the highway and did not get anywhere close to the airport terminal.

So, in my opinion, for the company to cancel the business trip was unnecessary. There is no point in trying to argue that with the boss.

As for the cold weather, I have a different solution. I have my normal summer backpacking gear. Additionally, I have a small DIY down blanket that is only about 3×5 feet, and it packs down into a ball about the size of a Coke can. I can take that as far as the trailhead without any problem, and sometimes I even carry it on the trail if I think that sudden cold might hit. Unfortunately, it weighs about three ounces. I sewed enough velcro into it that it can be used as a warm kilt, but normally it gets used inside the sleeping bag.

–B.G.–

Russ W BPL Member
PostedNov 14, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Actually, St. Louis was the meeting place for a consortium …so it was a collective decision among many participants to abort the meeting. A very reasonable decision but not from the standpoint of my personal weekend plans.

The positive I can take is that wherever I'm traveling for any reason, there are ample opportunities to seek backpacking pursuits if at all possible. So far, not including the east coast, Florida, Utah, Idaho, Arizona, Montana, Indiana, California come to mind. I had actually never considered MO from a backpacking perspective, but wow! Nothing is off limits, and the BPL Community is an excellent resource to figure out the unknowns. Thank you.

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedNov 14, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Missouri has different backpacking seasons. There is poison ivy season, tick season, chigger season.

–B.G.–

PostedNov 30, 2014 at 8:53 pm

OK I just got back from the Irish wilderness area and thought I'd give an up date since I had recommended the place. Due to lack of maintaince and little use the trail is very hard to find and follow. The section that runs on top of the bluffs beside the river we found only using a GPS and lost it just as quick. It was tough going. If you don't mind bushwhacking and have good map and compass/GPS skills its a fun trip, lots of solitude. I think I'd stay away in tick season

PostedDec 1, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Last time I went hiking in MO was during basic training. Really didn't enjoy it that much.

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedDec 1, 2014 at 5:33 pm

"Last time I went hiking in MO was during basic training."

As we used to call it, Fort Lost In The Woods.

Also known as the a$$hole of Missouri.

–B.G.–

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Loading...