Topic

Looking for new pack: input needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Looking for new pack: input needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ron Stoecklein
    BPL Member

@rs7trout

I know–there are all kinds of reviews and discussions on UL packs–but–

In the past I have been hiking with my 2 daughters–and carrying extra weight–so went with the Makalu Pro-(4.7)

they are older–and now out hiking me because I am still at a higher weight than I want to be.

So–given that–I am looking for a pack that is light and yet comfortable (realtively speaking)–for 3-5 day trips–sierras–15-25lbs.(I am into photography and fly fishing)

I’ve read a lot of reviews on the Gossamer Mariposa–Golite jam and the Granite Gear Vapor Trail—The Granite gear although heavier sounds like it might be more comfortable…and comfort is worth a pound if it truly make that much of a difference.

Unfortunately–seems like no one carries the UL packs in stock–so difficult to make a decision without trying.

Thus—Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Ron

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

you named three excellent packs. add to it the ULA P-1 and the SMD MoonLight. both should handle your (up to) 25 lbs of gear.

a co-worker of mine orders up to 3 packs at a time. he first speaks with the online retailer and explains he wants them in order to test for fit & will be returning the ones he doesn’t prefer. he has not had a problem doing this. whatever retailers he buys from are willing to do this. of course, my co-worker “foots the bill” for the shipping. to him the extra shipping cost is worth it. just something worth considering.

Robert Ebel

@poop

Locale: Earth Orbit

Light yet comfortable? Sounds like a McHale will do it and you can try them first – they make you try them first.

Ron Stoecklein
    BPL Member

@rs7trout

Probably would have gone with a ULA and still might in the future. Ended up with the GG Vapor Trail and a Golite Speed for now–weight is heavier than I would like–but seems like the tradeoff might be towards more comfort at least with the Vapor Trail…not sure about the Speed yet.

ULA was not shipping more packs until the fall–and Mchale would have taken time as well–and I needed a pack for the rest of the summer fall seaon at least.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Ron,

Good choices.

FYI, check out the Forums for any posts by Glenn Roberts. He “is” (actually “was” until very recently) a die-hard Vapor Trail user. Since he’s dropped his base pack wt, he switched, after much careful experimentation, to the Virga – again for comfort; same reason he always used the VaporTrail.

Happy Trails.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

I love the GG Mariposa… but 25 pounds is getting close to the limit of how much I’d want to carry with it… personally.

Sunny Waller
    BPL Member

@dancer

Locale: Southeast USA

My first love was a Dana Design Teraplane. I led outdoor trips and often wound up carrying extra gear. Althought the pack was heavier I could easily carry more weight because the pack was so darn comfortable. I feel the same way about my Vapor Trail. AND I always have room for all the gear I wound up carrying which makes a difference when you hike with others.

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

I think the GoLite Speed is a great choice. I have one and love it!

Ron Stoecklein
    BPL Member

@rs7trout

Hey Mike–thanks for the response–do you use the bladder in the speed? and what is your typical weight load?
    Trying to make my mind up between using the Speed or the vapor trail on my upcoming trip. I’m looking at around 16 pounds without the water.

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

Ron – I use a Platypus 3L Hoser instead of the bladder that came with the Speed. It works with my gravity filter so I do not have to remove it from the internal sleeve. With food for a weekend and water my normal 3-season pack is 17 to 22 pounds, 25 if I fill the bladder completely.
    The pack (Speed), bag (Nunatak Arc Alpinist) and shelter (SMD Lunar Solo) total 5 pounds. Water is by far the heaviest item in the pack. I have had as much as 30 pounds including food and water, but it started to get uncomfortable.

Ron Stoecklein
    BPL Member

@rs7trout

Forgot to ask if you used a pad inside the bag for the backpad?

I am going with the Golite feather bag and the tarptent squall–going light on food–use the pat-micropuff jacket and driduck for rainsnow–heaviest part is the darn bearvault–but I am going with the 30 oz version.

and then my fly fishing equip, with water I probably will be around 18.

did you feel like the speed’s weight was all on your shoulders or did the hipbelt take up as much of the weight as you wanted it to?

thanks-Ron

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

I do not use any additional padding. The built in chimney pad and the water bladder are all I find to need. I do place softer items closer to the back as a force of habit.
    The waist belt for me is more for easy access to compass, snack, GPS or knife and does not carry much load. I can say the load balance between the shoulder straps and hip belt is noticeably comfortable when adjusted appropriately.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools