Topic

Cant stand oatmet for breakfast anymore…ideas?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Cant stand oatmet for breakfast anymore…ideas?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Cookies for Breakfast? Aw YEAH — now isn't that why we hike?! Wish I could do that every morning… ;^)

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

I'm partial to spud bombs (a la Mike Clelland). I add a couple more things than he does, though. Here's a post I made on bikepacking.net about them:

Nick's guide to making a proper Spud Bomb:

1) Did you add butter?

2) Try throwing in some crushed fritos (crunch *and* calories). And salt. And the original fritos only have three ingredients!

3) Are you sure you have enough butter?

4) I add "Just Veggies" freeze-dried vegetables (I get them from amazon, 1 lb for 14 bucks). Sounds expensive but 1 lb freeze dried is equivalent to 5 pounds fresh, really not that bad

5) Are you really sure you have enough butter?

6) One packet of crystalized lemon or lime (Trulemon/lime) adds a great little tang . . .I found these in my regular grocery store, no idea which aisle. baking? I put them in all kinds of things. You can also make a passable trail Margarita with them.

7) Maybe put in a touch more butter.

I do 3 oz potatoes, 1 oz fritos, 1 oz veggies, 1 packet lemon. Sometimes I mix in other flavors and ingredients. Nido dry whole milk is one thing you can add.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

I have gone no cook for breakfast to help me get going more quickly. I make up the following mixture in a wide mouthed Nalgene bottle the night before.

– powdered coconut milk
    – protein powder
    – Gluten Free Porrij http://www.brookfarm.com.au/products/porrij/gluten-free-porrij/p/4794
    – a little cacao powder
    – water

It tastes pretty good (to me anyway:)) and allows me to have a high fat and high protein breakfast without cooking.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Anything you feel like eating.

I eat two breakfasts . the first is quick and can eat while walking. ,like a bar, pastry, cookies, snickers, etc as I start hiking.

About 2 hours later when sun is up, I stop for 20 min and eat granola with powdered milk .(nido).

Bear naked fruit and nut granola is good. Coated with canola oil for calories and to stay crunchy.

Personally I love oatmeal.I eat it dry as snack all the time.

Jason Cripe
    Spectator

@jeebz

Locale: Grand Rapids

Usually, my wife and I do oatmeal with fruit, powdered milk and brown sugar. Our other go to breakfast is instant hash browns (comes in a small milk carton like box at the store) and we add in some dehydrated breakfast sausage. It's delicious and super filling.

Dean L
    Spectator

@aldoleopold

Locale: Great Lakes

My usual trail breakfast is chocolate, sunflower seeds and some dried fruit. Warmth and pick-me-up come from a few cups of tea. Easy, quick and no gloppy mess to deal with.

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

Thanks for all the great input everyone!

I am gonna try the "old school" rolled oats with some things added to it and I am gonna look at Pack It Gourmet as well.

Thanks!

Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

I toast bagel halves in butter, toast Canadian bacon, and sandwich them with a slice of cheese. Very filling, easy to make and low cleanup. After about 4 days of that, I switch to granola and powdered milk, also very tasty. Plus coffee of course, Starbucks VIA. I don't prefer oatmeal either, but I could if I had to.

Barry Cuthbert
    BPL Member

@nzbazza

Locale: New Zealand

Here is a New Zealand Tramper thread that I contributed some ideas to recently on this very topic.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"old school rolled oats with some things added to it "

Add some crushed nuts, some coconut shreds, and some brown sugar. That will get you started.

–B.G.–

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Dehydrated whole milk with breakfast cereal. It always tastes good on the trail and very easy.

Window walker
    Spectator

@2-2-2

+1 Mike Clelland's spud bomb, with varying ingredients! Sometimes I also add his spiced olive oil.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I like Instant Cream of Wheat as a break form instant oatmeal.

I add granola to my hot cereals. Butter helps in winter. 1 tablespoon.

I also add cocoa powder to my hot cereals.

Sometimes I bring buckwheat honey. Mein Gott, it's GOOD!

And then sometimes I bring a "1 egg" skillet (no handle) and make small pancakes and/or fry freeze-dried omelette or OVA EASY egg crystals.

BTW, Trader Joe's has very good instant oatmeal in larger portions than Quaker. ANY other instant oatmeal is better than Quaker.

Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

I see that couscous was already posted. I've found this a nice change from oatmeal. I get some KFC honey and butter packets, add cinnamon, and yum.
    Kelly

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I made a pretty tasty breakfast yesterday, am going to try and dehydrate a portion today.

Quinoa, (home made) vanilla almond milk, dried cranberries, unsweetened applesauce, vanilla extract, all mixed together and cooked in a crock pot for around 6 hours. It is so fricking tasty. Hope it dehydrates well!

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

I eat instant oatmeal about 95% of the days I am out on the trail. I also take with me cream of wheat and cream of rice, for those odd days I feel like something different. I also take with me chocolate coffee bars and put them into the oatmeal/cream (they melt almost instantly) to kick them up a notch.

Sean Westberg
    Spectator

@theflatline

I'm kind of partial to the Trader Joe's multigrain oatmeal. It's not instant, you'll probably want to freezer bag it or you need to simmer/boil for a few minutes, but it's rolled oats, wheat, barley, and rye. The texture is totally different from the wallpaper paste that is instant oatmeal.

As a home brewer all of these things are dear to me, but I find that they really spice up "plain" oatmeal with a good grainy flavor. At home a little butter & maple syrup make it delicious. On trail you could jazz it up with almost anything.

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

Im so with you man. What I do is think of breakfast not as some special meal, but just like any other. Foods dont have to specifically breakfast, you just wanna get some carbs and protein in ya. So I'll usually do a PB sandy, or a turkey pepper jack if I was awesome enough to score said items. Hard boiled eggs rule, and dont take much fuel to cook (put eggs in cold water, bring to boil for 1 minute, take off stove, cover for 15 mins). Or maybe some gorp, or leftovers from the night before… hahaha who am I kidding? Theres no such thing as leftovers when youre camping!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

It's pretty easy to make your own instant oatmeal from regular rolled oats, and to make it with additions you like instead of what prepackaged options allow you – you can add walnuts, brown sugar, cocoa powder, etc.

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools