Topic

9 day Overland Track Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 9 day Overland Track Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Chris Wiewiora
    BPL Member

@crispy_scapes

Hey!

This is my first post on bpl but I have been reading articles and posts on here for months. I thought I would post my gear list for a nine day trip I will be doing in late December (27th Dec – 4th Jan). I'll be doing the Overland Track (65km) but also a lot of side trips and detours to get to some scenic locations. The average temp during December is around 21.2 C to 8.7 C but Tasmania's weather changes all the time and it has even snowed a few times during December.

I'm a photographer, so that is the main focus of the trip and that part of the gear list can't really change. Although I am currently testing a new lens that would reduce my system weight by around 0.8kg and is more compact, so I'm hoping to take that. I'm also planning on ordering the Zpacks Duplex tent prior to the trip. I would love to order the Zpacks 20 sleeping bag and Arc Blast backpack too but as a full time uni student I don't have the funds at the moment.

I have ordered new tiny bottles and jars from Ultralightdesigns to take the minimum amount of fluids for my toiletries and I will be dehydrating the toothpaste into small pellets. So the toiletries weight will change. I'd like to change from the jetboil sol to a UL esbit system but I can't take esbit fuel on the plane, as well as I can't find a store in Launceston that stocks it. I just bought a nesco dehydrator, so I will make my own meals and jerky too. I know the Montbell Mirage Parka is overkill but it pretty much weights the same as my Patagonia down sweater and it compresses more.

Anyway here is my gear list and I have converted the weight from grams to ounces in the second column. I'd really appreciate any advice and tips to reduce my pack weight or improve the setup.

Cheers
    Chris

__Total
    Chart comparing each category

Daniel D
    Spectator

@dandru

Locale: Down Under

My preference of tents for the Overland would be a dome, because you'll need to set up on those tent platforms.

How many litres of water do you plan to boil because I'd get around 5-7 litres of water out of the small cylinder with my Kovea, how efficient are the Jetboils?

Have you worked out how many Kilojoules/calories you need each day, seems like you're walking from hut to hut which ain't that far in some cases, you might find you need a bit of comfort food because you'll be sitting around a lot and when others are consuming all the good stuff, you'll be thinking you should of taken it.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

nm

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"I will be dehydrating the toothpaste into small pellets."

I guess you know that this won't save much weight.

Your tripod looks awfully heavy.

–B.G.–

Chris Wiewiora
    BPL Member

@crispy_scapes

Yeah I was thinking the same thing Daniel and my copper spur is freestanding, so it would be much easier to setup but it's a big weight saving making the switch to the duplex but a lot more effort setting up. As it will be a busy time, I will probably setup my tent every night instead of squeezing into the huts.

Going off BPL article on fuel efficiency, where they tested the jetboil for fuel consumption, the 100g canister would last me around 12 days for boiling 700ml of water per day. I only need it to last about 8 days. I think jetboil rates the 100g canister for 12L.

I plan to do that closer to the hike. Figure out the exact kilojoules I need per day and plan my meals accordingly. I'll take some sweets (m&m's) and jerky to keep me happy but photography will keep me occupied most of the time.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

No remote shutter cord for your camera?

–B.G.–

Chris Wiewiora
    BPL Member

@crispy_scapes

Yeah haha, I've read the BPL threads but I think it's convenient and easy to do.

Induro CT114 and RRS BH-30 are the model. It's about as light as they get. It's about as short as I can handle (doesn't extend to my head), made from carbon fiber and I've modded it recently to cut 120 grams off (cut CF central column and took out bolts that weren't needed). You can always reduce the tripod weight but it gets to a point were stability is more important then the weight saving. As I use a 36mp sensor, vibrations from the wind and even the cameras shutter have a significant effect on image quality. The Ballhead is the smallest and lightest RRS makes that will pan. The BH-25 is 100 grams lighter and I've considered switching to it but it won't pan (useful for doing panoramas) and isn't worth spending $250 for 100g weight saving at the moment.

Chris Wiewiora
    BPL Member

@crispy_scapes

I use a 2 second timer. As I won't be shooting seascapes, exact timing isn't important. For star trails I can use the built in time-lapse app. Originally I was going to take my phone and I can use the IR blaster to trigger the camera but I've decided to not take it. If I want to do exposures longer than 30" (e.g. moonlit foreground shot for astro), then I might have to take an IR remote but it only weighs around 5 grams.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

I don't have a duplex, but from my understanding of it, I would really reconsider taking it because of the platforms. They really can be a pain to pitch a tent on…heck they can be a pain with a tunnel. Also they can be crowded-you will likely have to share them with other people and their tents, so complicated lines running around the place to try and get your pitch just right will be painful.

Agree on extra food for sitting around, though your photography will keep you busy too, plenty of photographic material around there! Take plenty of extra fuel and hot drinks. There are quite a few little side trips you can do off the Overland track itself (eg Mt Ossa etc) so you can factor that in. Most people are guided down it (blerghhh) and just go hut to hut.

Hugh Webb
    BPL Member

@magoo

Chris, as an aside, I just checked your website and your photos of Australian landscapes are superb. I think every ounce of your photography gear is worth it if you can get more images like that! I look forward to seeing updates after your trip.

Chris Wiewiora
    BPL Member

@crispy_scapes

Adam I think Daniel and you have a good point. It will be a lot easier to setup the freestanding tent.

I'll definitely be going up to Mt Ossa. I also want to go out along the Du Cane Range to the Acropolis.

Cheers

Chris Wiewiora
    BPL Member

@crispy_scapes

Thanks a lot Hugh! I really appreciate it and I'm glad you liked them.

Karen Kennedy
    BPL Member

@karenk

Locale: NE NSW - Australian subtropics

Hi Chris,

Wow a Duplex is a big purchase for a student – excellent tent, very well thought out and can't be beaten weight wise!

We used the Duplex this winter on the Larapinta and loved it. Obviously there were no platforms to worry about, but I'm familiar with the platforms on the Overland Track and I wouldn't hesitate to use a Duplex on them – it sets up happily with 6 stakes. Our last trip to Tassie was with a Tarptent Squall Classic which is a little simpler to peg out, but for me the weight saving would override a quicker setup any day. Take a few bits of cord and maybe a couple of UL carabiners to help with setting up if you go with the Duplex.

I'd probably also take merino instead of synthetic socks (think wet AND cold). And others may disagree but I've never treated water in Tassie so you may be able to save a little weight there – and from memory we were happy with carrying half a day's water, so maybe capacity for 2L may be enough. Way different to most areas of Oz in terms of water availability!

Good luck and have an awesome trip!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

My suggestions:

Forget about the toothpaste completely. It is not essential. But take the toothbrush.

Dettol: whatever for???

Platforms: take 6-10 tiny screw hooks for anchoring your tent to the timber. Take them out when you leave. Use a Ti Shepherds hook peg to help screw them in.

Cooking: Jetboil 267 g. Fire Maple FMS-300T: 49 g. Share a simple Al or Ti pot with someone else? You have been suckered in over the claimed 'fuel efficiency'.

Tripod 1400 g: WOW. Bet you don't use it much. Try a little 45 g Jobi instead. Take your pack off and sit the Jobi on top: about the same height.

Electrical: you could leave the whole bleeding lot behind you know.

Synthetic cycling socks: Ugh. Try some Darn Tough Vermont wool blend ones and never look back.

Food: 500 g /day. NOT ENOUGH! Figure on 700 g dry weight – or lose the equivalent body fat each day. You will NEED the calories!

Cheers
    (Yes, been through there a couple of times.)

Chris Wiewiora
    BPL Member

@crispy_scapes

Great advice Karen. I don't think I'll get it for now because I spent the money on camera gear instead : but I definitely want to get it in the future. I was taking the synthetics for the weight saving but it's probably a good idea to use merino only.

Thank you Karen!

Chris Wiewiora
    BPL Member

@crispy_scapes

I'm a massive fan of your posts Roger.

"Dettol: whatever for???" So I don't transfer germs from my hands onto my food as I prepare it.

I'll look into the ti screws.

So you don't think the fluxrings help? The Fire Maple FMS-300T looks interesting. Would you pick that over esbit fuel systems?

The main reason for the trip is photography. So the tripod and camera gear will get a lot of use thankfully :)

"Electrical: you could leave the whole bleeding lot behind you know." I need a head torch for night photography shoots and the ipod shuffle weights nothing. But I won't be taking my phone and battery pack.

Yeah I think I'll take my smart wool socks instead.

I still haven't sorted out my exact food list yet. I just read a forum on bpl and the majority said 500g a day was okay. I'll be taking a lot of animal fat and olive oil.

Thanks for all the great advice Roger!

Cheers
    Chris

twig .
    BPL Member

@bretthartwig

Locale: Australia

I would also be lightening up that tripod selection, carrying a tripod that weighs almost 4 times the weight of your camera doesn't seem like the best option. Years ago I did the overland for photography carrying a Nikon F4 and lenses. I got a cheap velbon tripod, removed the centre column and used a bolt to attach the head directly to the legs. This firmed up the stability and I also had a loop attached to the bolt where I could hang a stuff sack or peg the tripod to the ground for long exposures. At around $60 it is lighter and about $700 cheaper than current carbon fibre tripods. You can use your current head so if you have quick release plates etc. they will still work.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> "Dettol: whatever for???" So I don't transfer germs from my hands onto my food as I prepare it.

Do you do that at home? Or do you use ordinary soap and water? Noting that soap and water is also very good at getting all the grime and dirt off your hands as well.

In fact, using Dettol on your hands is probably bad for your health. It kills all the GOOD bacteria which live on your skin, protecting you by keeping bad bacteria from getting a foothold. The whole anti-bacterial concept is medically BAD.

> the majority said 500g a day was okay
    It's OK for a couple of nights IF you can spare 200 g of body fat per day. In this case I think the majority were all following each other and parroting ignorance. 500 g of DRY food, including fats, might be enough in warm weather for a sedentary lifestyle. It won't work on the Overland track.

Cheers

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

With 700g or so of food a day I lost a kilo or so of weight doing the Overland in 5 days* ( I was just over 70 kg then)
    Skimp on food and you will be cold at night.
    * no side trips apart from minor detours

Chris Wiewiora
    BPL Member

@crispy_scapes

Twig, unfortunately that's my lightest option. When using a 36mp camera it wouldn't be wise to skimp on the tripod, otherwise it defeats the purpose of shooting high res images with all the blur from a tripod that isn't stiff enough. It's as short as I can handle, made from CF and magnesium and I've done a lot of mods to it to take 200g off it. Thank you for your advice.

Chris Wiewiora
    BPL Member

@crispy_scapes

Roger,

I always use soap and water, for the reason you state and also I have read that it increases BPA absorption. I might consider leaving the dettol.

I haven't prepared my food list, so it might be a lot higher. I spend eight days around Kosi in July (which you are very familiar with). So I understand the importance of having enough calories to stay warm. I'll try take more food than needed and figure out how many calories I'll need per day.

Thank you for the great advice Roger.

Cheers
    Chris

Chris Wiewiora
    BPL Member

@crispy_scapes

Very true Franco. I haven't figured out my food yet and that was just an estimate. I think I will definitely be taking more haha. Did you do the Overland around December? I don't mind if I lose weight but I don't want to start breaking down my muscles. I think I'll be taking a kg of pemmican for this trip :)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools