Topic

Reliable, instant, matchless fire

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Reliable, instant, matchless fire

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

Brian's off to the hardware store!

fire without matches

Questions: how much steel wool is required? How does it work in the the wet? Could an integrated lighting system be "wired" into the Bushbuddy, using current from the batteries in your headlamp?

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Wow, that's really cool! They say you can use batteries other than a 9 volt but I don't see how you would have both end touch the steel wool at the same time with something like an AAA.

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

Jason,

I agree, really cool. However, how much steel wool do you think that we could get by with to start a fire? Might be an idea for if nothing else an emergency kit????

Rich

Sam .

@samurai

Locale: NEPA

4/O steel wool catches and holds a spark well. Any of the sparking fire-starters will work, as will a match.

Never tried it wet. Just fooled around with it a few times. It's light and can be compacted fairly well.

It does rust very quickly and makes a bit of a mess as it crumbles easily.

YMMV

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

Used to use this for fire starter back when I was a Boy Scout. (That would have been just after fire was invented .;-) Any kind of spark will light it and if memory serves we even got a magnifing glass and the sun to work, but the steel wool must be one of the finer grades to work right. We used to use a ping-pong ball size wad of the stuff to get a small campfire going. Blow on it after it is lit to enhance the burn. This is rapid oxidation of iron (rust) in action! I believe it should work wet, but not sure. Good luck!

-Mark

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Back in scouts I could never get this to work… I could do old school flint and steel and a number of other ways… but the whole battery and steel wool simply never worked for me…

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

the steel wool must be one of the finer grades to work right.

Definitely! … and more specifically, 4-ought grade (aka OOOO)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools