Topic

New Pad!!!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Pad!!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Gordon Gray
    BPL Member

@gordong

Locale: Front Range, CO

Just to celebrate:

So, early in the spring I bought an original NeoAir locally from someone on craigslist and BPL (posted on both sites). It was $70 and looked like new. Upon my first trip I discovered that it did not hold air but for a couple hours then you would be touching the ground. Bummer. I contacted the seller but all I got was BS reasons why they wouldn't take it back. I didn't expect it anyway since it was a used item and it was never discussed.

I did all the tests (soap, submerged in bathtub, listen, ect…) to find the hole and there weren't any.

I contacted Thermarest and got a RA number to send it in. Well, its been two months so I just called them to follow up. They looked in the system and said that it would be covered by warranty but they were out of stock at the current time due to demand. I would have one in the next production run. I asked what exact model I would be receiving. The nice lady on the other end says, "Oh, it is a little bit different, it has a tapered shape instead of the square edges. It is the NeoAir XLite regular".

Oh damn! I will def take that. They run $150!!!!! And it's a few ounces lighter! I know cause I bought one. Now I have an awesome XMas gift for my daughter!!!

Brian Hall
    BPL Member

@brian2o0o

They do have an awesome warranty. I have bought a couple original neoairs over the years on gear swap and both of them had a slow leak. The first one I sent in before the Xlites were around, and they sent me a brand new original neoair and a patch kit( which didn't come with them at the time). Then a year or so ago, I had another original neoair that I got from gear swap that I patched multiple holes in trying to stop a slow leak. I sent it back to Thermarest, and they sent me a brand new Xlite back since they no longer made the original neoairs. I'll probably never buy another brand pad just because I know Thermarest stands behind their stuff.

Christopher Cage
    Spectator

@crcage

Locale: Owner of Greenbelly

Sounds like you just got an $80 value for free! Had a similar experience with my neoair. There was mold growing in it (I guess my breath from inflating had formed some condensation?) and they replaced it with a newer model. Well done Thermarest!

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Cascade Designs products are premium priced, but for that price you get top quality gear with the best warrantee imaginable. I have a 2005 Hubba (2nd gen) and 3 years ago they replaced the (orange) fly with the then current (yellow) fly, no questions asked. I recently noticed the same seam tape deterioration on the replacement and figured, what the heck…nothing to lose…and contacted them. They replaced the replacement with the current (green) fly!!!!!!!

You can NOT fault that kind of commitment to a warrantee. Oh yeah…and 2 months ago they replaced my original NeoAir with the newest (xLite) model.

– Likely Cascade customer for life.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

See post below.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Cascade Designs replace my original 3/4 length 1980 pad (brass valve) with a new one (plastic valve) in 1989 when the brass valve failed.

Then in 2013 they replaced my delaminated 1992 Thermarest Lite with the Thermarest Prolite.

So yeah, they have been standing behind their products for a looooong time.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools