Topic

37.5 Technology?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 37.5 Technology?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    John Holdmeier

@jhold_21

I am curious if anyone has any knowledge of 37.5 technology. It claims to use active particles permanently embedded in the fibers to capture and release moisture vapor to "keep the optimum relative humidity in the microclimate next to your skin". It has been used in all kinds of applications, but I am curious if anyone has any knowledge as it applies to rain shells. I wonder how it compares comfort-wise to Gore, eVent, Marmots new NanoPro, NeoShell etc…

Thanks in advance for any insight.

-JH

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

I have been doing some testing recently on various items and have been pleased. I also have some first lite clothing that uses it, and have been using those about a year and really like them.

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

If I'm not mistaken this technology has been rebranded as FlashDry for use in TNF products. I have a number of their shirts and baselayers and feel that they perform on the higher end of the spectrum for wicking/drying.

They get soggy like anything else but they do seem to wick well and dry fast enough. Based on my experience with the baselayers I don't feel like it would especially improve performance in hardshells by an especially noticeable amount and I don't think I'd be willing to pay extra for the treatment.

It is of course, hard to judge on A/B tests informally, so perhaps the performance is in fact streets ahead.

Vince Contreras
    BPL Member

@pillowthread

Locale: like, in my head???

…about 37.5 technology, but I am intrigued.

Otherwise, I just love the use of "streets ahead". It's kinda my favorite inside joke.

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

FYI, the company used to be called Cocona, and I have a Rab merino long sleeve T-shirt that uses Cocona fabric as the side panels. Minimal stink, fast wicking, no issues. I've not tried anything else from 37.5/Cocona, but I really like that shirt.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I know nothing about it but my B.S. alarm is going off like crazy

sounds like marketing spin

but, maybe there's something there…

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don't know if they've changed, but the original cocona used to use activated charcoal from coconut shells (hence the name "cocona") which absorbed odor, was somewhat antimicrobial, and sped up moisture absorbing when combined with hydrophobic fibers like polyester.

However, reports of it seemed to indicate it was not that permanent, and could eventually get overwhelmed in a purely synthetic piece.

It works well in Rab MeCo (which i have), but the odor reduction there is most likely the predominate Merino. However, it does increase the wicking-spread process quite a bit, even though it's only like 35% polyester. I would like to see something like the Rab MeCo, with a lower percentage of wool and higher percentage of cocona polyester personally. Maybe even reversed, like 65% Cocona polyester to 35% Merino, which should increase the durability and drying time.

If they've improved the durability of the process, that's cool. In any case, while it's decent tech, it's not magic or super unusual so far in my understanding and experience.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

I've never heard of 37.5 but I know Crux is using a new breathable waterproof fabric they call X-tex which uses activated carbon that greatly increase moisture transmission and reduces (eliminates?) condensation.

http://www.crux.uk.com/en/tents.php?range=14&product=39

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I know nothing about it but my B.S. alarm is going off like crazy"

+1.

Most stuff that makes claims like this is about 1% true and 99% hype. Actively uptaking and releasing moisture to maintain the optimum humidity? Isn't the optimum about zero?

John Holdmeier

@jhold_21

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think I have a decent understanding of why it works well in a base layer as it seems to be super absorbent and dries quickly. Does anyone have any more thoughts on how the 37.5 technology works when applied to rain shell technology (like FirstLight uses)? I would think it is working to speed up that moisture transfer from your skin to and through whatever membrane the jacket is using.

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

I have the first lite rain shell, and since we have been so rainy I have been doing a lot of shell comparisons. It is by far my favorite shell that I've used in the last few weeks, It isn't the lightest shell as it is burly and full featured, but I wore it 8 hours yesterday in conditions from snow and freezing to 3 hrs of continues rain and probably 40's . I never really stopped moving , and I was never uncomfortable in areas protected by the shell.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools