Topic

UL deep winter bag… stuffed with 16 lbs of down

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) UL deep winter bag… stuffed with 16 lbs of down

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

are all the watchers BPLers?

Evan Davies

@evand

Locale: Wales

$1,384.02 shipping to UK

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Locale: Scandinavia

Not sure if this is the first LOL I had while reading BPL. It's one of only a few times at most, and any other times would have been chuckles at most. But this thread, hands down, made me laugh the most. Thanks everyone.

The weed joke, Antarctica shout out, temp rating in Kelvin, the pee bottle (my personal favorite thus far), shipping to UK, CAMPING ON THE MOON. AND DON'T FORGET THE BAG ITSELF! Amazing. I honestly laughed hard and loud for a solid minute or two.

Wow. I would love to read a review of this bag. No, scratch that, a video review!

"Okay, I've got something really special to review this time! First let me open it up and show everyone. Just got back from a trip to the top of the Himalayas in the dead of winter, got to visit some really remove places, absolutely incredible trip. But it required a very unique piece of gear to survive up there. As you can see—What the…! WHAT THE HELL IS INSIDE HERE!? OMG ITSZ A YETI!!! NO! NONONO MAKE IT STOP!!! THESE ARNT EVEN SUPPOSED TO BE REAL!!! OH DEAR GOD GET IT OFF ME!!! AAAAHHHHHHRRAHGHYYYAAAAAA!!!"

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Locale: Scandinavia

…I don't know what it is. This is just pure comedy gold for me. I can't believe this bag exists. Wow. I am literally in tears from laughing so much.

I'm starting to question if this is real or a very elaborate prank. Either way I don't care, good job pee bottle person ebay seller/epic prankster.

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

AT Hiker

@nooga

Locale: East TN

I'd like to see it in a stuff sack.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

seriously, what must FF have said?? I would have LOVED to listen in on that order…..

Peter Boysen
    BPL Member

@peterboysen

If that sleeping bag gets snagged on something, there's going to be a serious geyser of down blasting out of there.

Moreover, I wonder if he's recently become convinced that global warming is really happening, and needs to ditch his cold weather gear before everyone else catches on.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Maybe he's a cold sleeper?

twig .
    BPL Member

@bretthartwig

Locale: Australia

Bag seemed like a bargain, but the shipping cost to Australia of $1,993.20 puts it just out of my reach.

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

-150F plus?? So it really was made for the moon considering that's colder than anything the Earth has ever produced. Someone should email Feathered Friends and get their thoughts on it.

Ryan

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Mike Henrick
    Spectator

@hikerbox

Locale: Boston

Wouldn't it be worth it to harvest the down for somebody to make like a dozen down bags? I'm not familiar with down prices but 16 pounds!

Peter Boysen
    BPL Member

@peterboysen

"Wouldn't it be worth it to harvest the down for somebody to make like a dozen down bags? I'm not familiar with down prices but 16 pounds!"

Still wouldn't be worth it. It's a ton of down, but that price seems to reflect some of the markup in price as well. Just as a point of reference though, the "normal" version of that sleeping bag (rated to -60°F) is only a little over $1000.

Edit:

The first line on FF's website regarding that particular model says, "The warmest sleeping bag on the planet," which, in this custom configuration, is almost certainly true.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

The only thing about this bag is that it is stuffed so tight that it would react the same as a more condense harder insulation fill.

Because it wouldn't breath or be worth a damn in the real world, it would have been just as warm and inefficient to stuff almost any type of insulation in the chambers.
    As long as the density were the same, the bag would have the same effect in keeping you just as warm.

The use of top quality down in this bag is just stupid.
    If you added up the cubic inches the bag displaces and stuffed it with 30% overfill, it would have actually worked as a down bag should.
    As is, it is just a 20 pound waste of some amazing fabric and down.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

I'll bet it would make a heck of a pinata…

All I can think is of is stupid scenarios, like someone with way too much money had this made perhaps as an "oh, yeah?" comeback to someone. Like, "You say the bag hasn't been made that is TOO warm for you? Oh, yeah? I'll show you! Happy birthday, honey! NOW can we go glamping?"

Peter Boysen
    BPL Member

@peterboysen

"All I can think is of is stupid scenarios,"

That's the truth. My guess is that someone for whom money was no object, who had never seen snow was going somewhere they knew to be cold, and thus were quite certain they knew what it would really take to stay warm. Some middle east oil sheikh or something maybe. That doesn't seem to explain how it ended up in that particular living room though.

John Higgins
    BPL Member

@sliggins1483

this dam thing is taking up my whole closet. anyone interested i also have the 245 liter cuber fiber stuff sack $600 firm.

p.s. this is not mine, or am i the one selling, just thought i would put my 2 cents in for someone else to get a laugh out of

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

"The first line on FF's website regarding that particular model says, "The warmest sleeping bag on the planet," which, in this custom configuration, is almost certainly true." -Peter B.

Perhaps feathered friends made this bag so that no one could ever nitpick that statement. I once bought a new car that didn't have a radio in it. I'm pretty it was made so a dealer could advertise "We have new Geo Metros cars starting at this low low price."

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

so seriously, what would the EN rating on this puppy be??

And how much would 16 pounds of top quality down cost?

Simon Wurster
    BPL Member

@einstein

Locale: Big Apple

When Steve Martin made it big in the 70s, he joked that one of the first things he bought was a fur sink. I think this may be his summer sleeping bag.

How do you wash that bag? Swimming pool and one of those harnesses used to lift baby whales out of the water?

I also applaud all the wit in this thread, it's made my day.

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

Obviously this is used in defense of an attack by the X-men character Iceman. Or if Han Solo had this he would have been saved in episode 5 changing the Star Wars universe forever!

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Locale: SE US

I'm having a hard time deciding between this and a matching pair of titanium toothbrushes.
    What to do?!?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Get both.
    Too much is never enough.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools