Topic

Hyalite LTW Panniers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring Hyalite LTW Panniers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

My Hyalite LTW pannier set arrived today. I wanted higher volume and more waterproof design than my existing set and I got what I asked for. They were on sale at for $77.97 Sierra Trading Post, which put them at about half the cost of the least expensive Ortlieb models. Hyalite is the spin-off survivor of Pacific Outdoor Equipment, known for their sleeping pads.

I resisted buying the Arkiel Dry-Lite panniers, mostly due the small volume. They just didn't have enough space for a multi-day trip, although they are two pounds lighter than these Hyalites. They have a very different design and mounting.

The back panel measures 13" wide x 13.5" tall with one corner cut off for heel clearance. They are typical roll-top design and use R & K mounting hardware. The rated volume is 2684 cubic inches for the pair, or about 44 liters. That puts me at nearly the same capacity as my usual multi-day backpack and I can still exercise the option to use a dry back on top of the rack and another on my handlebars. They weigh 1lb 7oz each and use 50 denier diamond ripstop recycled P.E.T fabric. There is a single vertical compression strap.

I installed an Axiom Journey Disc rack on my Novara Bonita mountain bike. Rear disc brakes complicate rack mounting and the Journey uses an asymmetrical support on the left side, slipping in just ahead of the brake caliper. The pannier clears the rack support hardware by a finger width and the bottom clears the brake actuating arm by just a bit more.

So they just made it. The fabric is light and calls for some care. I'm looking at riding gravel trails and dirt roads, so they won't be exposed to the terrors of single track terrain. Although the volume is high, I still plan to use all my UL techniques and gear for bikepacking. Looks like keepers :)

Left side, loosely packed:
    Hyalite LTW Panniers

Top view showing mounts. I offset the left side a bit behind the right to help clear the hardware below.
    Hyalite LTW Panniers

This is the left side support for the Axiom rack, which just clears the undercut corner of the front side of the pannier. The hardware is round and smooth and there is a finger width of clearance.
    Hyalite LTW Panniers

Looking through the spokes from the right side, showing the clearance above the brake caliper and actuating arm.
    Hyalite LTW Panniers

The back panel with R&K mounting hardware:
    Hyalite LTW Panniers

Right side view, again with the bag loosely packed. I have a couple inches of heel clearance.
    Hyalite LTW Panniers

Looking inside. Note the pockets on the back panel– about Nalgene sized
    Hyalite LTW Panniers

Inaki Diaz de Etura
    BPL Member

@inaki-1

Locale: Iberia highlands

Simple and light, I like these. Thanks for the description and pics. Not a dramatic weight difference with the Ortlieb Plus series which include the shoulder strap but could be made simpler.

I thought the same about the Arkle Dry-Lites, too small for general touring unless you go really minimal or use additional bags.

How about rigidity of the back panel in the Hyalites?

I'll very much welcome your report after using them.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The Hyalites have stout back panels, with an array of lightening holes in them. They are as good as any I've seen.

The plastic is 4mm thick and has smooth trim covering the perimeter.
    Hyalite LTW Panniers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools